This Mexican Fiesta Chicken and Rice is a one-skillet wonder! It’s easy to prepare and is perfect for weeknights when you want an all-in-one dinner.
Mexican Chicken and Rice Recipe
I love one skillet wonders, as I like to call them. One skillet but an entire meal — meat, grain and veggies get made in it. Cleanup is a breeze and it actually looks killer too, don’t you think?
To make things even better, this is an Our Sweet Basil Kitchen Cookbook recipe!! One of the exclusive recipes from our first cookbook is one of our favorites, so make sure you snag a cookbook!!!
I think you guys will really love this Mexican chicken with rice. It takes about an hour to make, but most of that time is spent waiting for the rice to cook. Just add the ingredients to a skillet, pop the lid on, and walk away!
What’s Needed for Fiesta Chicken and Rice?
The ingredients list below may look lengthy, but that’s because the Mexican chicken seasoning contains quite a few spices. Here’s everything you’ll need to make the Mexican chicken with rice:
- Chicken breasts
- Canola oil
- Brown rice
- Chicken broth
- Lime juice
- Diced green chiles
- Black beans
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend
How to Make Fiesta Chicken and Rice
- Make the seasoning blend: Start out by making a seasoning blend similar to taco or fajita packets you buy in the store.
- Season and cook the chicken: You’ll start by dredging the chicken in a cornstarch and seasoning mixture. This will help the chicken to be well seasoned as the cornstarch helps to thicken the juices as the chicken cooks and keeps the seasoning on the meat. Now remove the chicken to a plate with a little foil resting over it.
- Cook the rice: You’re going to have browned bits left in your pan, but that’s ok, those browned bits are going to help flavor the rest of the dish. Throw a little oil in the pan and cook your rice. Cade taught me that the Brazilians do this a lot and it really does make a more flavorful rice. You’ll just cook it for a minute or two and then dump in your broth and water, lime juice, salt and diced green chilis and the remaining seasoning. Let it come to a boil and then turn to simmer and cover with a lid to cook the rice.
- Add the remaining ingredients: After it’s all cooked get your chicken back in there along with cheese, tomatoes, beans, and corn. Make sure you season more if needed!
- Serve: Throw a little cool and creamy avocado on top and you’re all set! We like to serve warm tortillas with it but that’s completely unnecessary, this fiesta chicken and rice dish is great on its own.
How to Store Mexican Chicken and Rice
Store leftover fiesta chicken and rice in the fridge for up to three days.
Tips for Making Fiesta Chicken and Rice
Spice levels: Our oldest tends to think this fiesta chicken and rice skillet is a bit spicy, but the rest of us don’t so you’ll have to adjust according to your own tastes. And I’m a wimp when it comes to heat so clearly it’s not that bad.
Rice: We like brown rice, but you can use white if you prefer. White rice only takes 20-30 minutes compared to the 45 for the brown, so just adjust as needed.
Seasoning blend: I like to make a whole bunch of it at once and store it in an airtight jar for up to 3 months. Maybe it would go longer, but to be honest I’ve never had enough left to see.
More Chicken and Rice Recipes:
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken with Lemon Rice
- Crockpot Chicken and Rice
- Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Honey Mustard Chicken and Veggie Rice Bowls
- Ranch Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
- Cheesy Broccoli, Chicken, and Rice Casserole
- Mexican Chicken and Rice Casserole
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Fiesta Chicken and Rice
- 4 Teaspoons Chili Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 2 ¼ Teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 2 Teaspoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Cayenne
- 1 ¼ Teaspoon Cumin
Chicken and Rice:
- 3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil , divided
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 Cup Brown Rice (white is fine too)
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 4 ounce Can Diced Green Chiles
- 2 Tomatoes chopped
- 1 ½ Cups Corn
- 1 15 ounce Can Black Beans drained
- ¾ Cup Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
- Cilantro for garnish
- Mix together the spices called for in the seasoning blend.
- In a ziploc, add the chicken, cornstarch and 2 Tablespoons of the seasoning blend.
- Seal the bag and shake to coat the chicken.
- Heat a high sided skillet over high heat and add one tablespoon oil.
- Once the oil is shimmering, add the chicken and turn down to low heat.
- Cook about 6-7 minutes, flip over and continue cooking until cooked through, about 4-6 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Place the skillet back on the burner and turn to medium heat.
- Add the remaining oil and the rice.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, water, remaining seasoning blend, salt, lime juice and diced green chiles.
- Bring to a boil then turn to low, place the lid on the skillet and cook for 45 minutes for brown and 20-30 minutes for white rice.
- Remove the lid, add the beans, corn, cheese and tomatoes. Season to taste, and stir.
- Add the chicken on top and place the lid on to cook for another 10 minutes to bring everything to temperature.
- Serve with fresh avocado and cilantro.