Throw everything in the crock pot and in a few hours you have a delicious, creamy crockpot chicken and rice dish that can be served over rice, noodles, or potatoes!
Yup, this Crockpot Chicken and rice is the old classic you grew up eating. We will post the originally recipe of shredded chicken with a soup and cream cheese mixture and add the adaptations that we make.
This Crock Pot Chicken recipe is such a reader favorite that we are often looking to share new chicken recipes you can make in a crockpot. Sadly we sometimes forget about the old recipes so it was time to bring back the classic.
What to Serve With Crockpot Chicken
I’m sure that you could add some broccoli pieces or maybe even carrots to this crockpot chicken and it would help a little bit on the nutrition side of things.
Maybe you could even try adding a little bit of sour cream or plain yogurt if you aren’t a big fan of the cream cheese. Anyway, we eat this with brown rice or whole wheat angel hair pasta. I am sure you could serve it over mashed potatoes too!
What to Substitute for Cream of Chicken Soup
If you’re not into using a can of cream of chicken soup, no worries! You can actually make your own using milk or cream, butter and flour along with some easy seasoning.
Our post on Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Casserole has a quick and easy recipe for canned soup at home. This particular recipe makes a cream of mushroom soup but just omit the mushrooms and use a few dashes of poultry seasoning and you’re all set!
Adding More Flavor to Crockpot Chicken and Rice
We really like to add more flavor to this crockpot shredded chicken and rice recipe so we like to add in Montreal Chicken seasoning, lemon pepper or other favorites as it is cooking in the slow cooker. We’ve found that depending on our mood we could use anywhere from 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon of seasoning along with a little salt and pepper.
It’s up to you, and isn’t normally part of the recipe, but it’s a great addition.
Can you Freeze Crockpot Chicken?
Normally you don’t want to freeze anything that has a lot of cream or cream cheese in it as it can curdle when reheating or separate. This crockpot chicken and rice recipe is a different story as that can of soup really helps to keep things together.
We still have much better luck when we use a food saver to suck out all of the air, but ziplocs will do fine.
This shredded chicken will last for about 1 month or so if you use a food saver or 2-3 weeks if it’s in freezer bags.
More Crock Pot Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili
- Crock Pot Cafe Rio Chicken
- Slow Cooker Smothered BBQ Beef
- Tender Crock Pot Whole Chicken
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Mexican Chicken
- Slow Cooker Potato Broccoli Corn Chowder with Bacon
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs in the Slow Cooker
- Asian Sticky Slow Cooker Ribs
- Chili Sauce and Grape Jelly Slow Cooker Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Korean BBQ Beef
- All our CROCKPOT and SLOW COOKER recipes here!
To see all of our family dinner recipes, head here! These are a few of our favorites…
Crockpot Chicken and Rice
Crockpot Chicken and rice
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 1/4 Cup of Butter
- 1 Italian Dressing Seasoning Dry Mix
- 1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 8 Oz Pkg Cream Cheese
- In a crock pot, mix together the soup, butter and italian seasoning packet.
- Add the chicken breasts.
- Cook in crockpot on low for 5-6 hours or high 3 - 3 1/2 hours.
- Shred chicken and add cream cheese to the sauce.
- Mix until smooth. If it seems too thick add a little milk.
- Serve over rice or pasta!
Just place the entire bird in the slow cooker and it comes out like rotisserie!
This is the best pot roast recipe ever!