Looking for an easy and delicious chicken for the grill? Greek Marinade Chicken Souvlaki is full of flavor and turns out so moist!
What is Souvlaki?
Souvlaki is a popular Greek fast food.
It is small pieces of meat and sometimes vegetables grilled on a skewer.
It is usually eaten straight off the skewer while still hot.
Pull up your britches and put on your thickest black eye liner and red lipstick because My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 is coming to theaters March 25 and we’ve got Greek Chicken Souvlaki to celebrate! Now before we get all excited about the movie, you must hear two things.
- The key to good chicken souvlaki skewers is to put peppers and onions at each end and stack the chicken close together so the meat stays juicy.
- The greatest discovery ever is that grilling the lemons is pretty much the absolute best thing ever and makes them a little sweet and smokey. It. Is. Amazing.
I grew up on Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Casserole and Jello Cake so I’m pretty sure if you had said Greek Chicken Souvlaki to me I not only would have been confused but there’s no way in heck I would have tried it. I was a chicken with food. You already know that. I’ve said it 1. 56892 Billion times. But I’ve changed my ways thanks to Cade and his encouragement and I adore all kinds of food. Unless it’s that Persian place we tried a few weekends ago that gave me food poisoning…
But the point is, we’ve partnered up with Universal Pictures for a crazy fun post as part of a “My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 Family Dinner Series”!! Eeeeek!!! I love that any time I post a “Bundt” on instagram or facebook you all are so quick to chime in with the “It’s not a cake, it’s a bundt” quotes. You know me so well…
Since we knew we were doing this post we’ve been quoting it even more. This is one is being said pretty much all the time. It’s getting ridiculous but I’m smiling to myself even as I type this because I know its not going to end any time soon.
Which is fine because I can keep making Greek food. We served this up with Greek Salad and Greek potatoes which were AMAZING!! Recipes coming soon!
Well we absolutely loved the first movie and it totally made me wish I had some Greek in me because they seem to have so much fun and I looooove their thick love for family. Traditions are so important.
So guys, don’t worry that you can’t pronounce Greek Chicken Souvlaki, neither can we, just make one of our favorite Greek Recipes for your family this weekend and let’s all get excited that there’s a new My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 coming to theaters on March 25!!!!
What is Tzatziki Sauce?
Tzatziki is a sauce served with grilled meats or as a dip.
It is of Greek origin.
Tzatziki sauce is made from yogurt, garlic, and cucumbers.
Can Souvlaki be Cooked in the Oven?
While Souvlaki is best when grilled, it can be prepared in an oven.
Preheat broiler, and place the rack about 5-6 inches from the top of the oven.
Greek Chicken Souvlaki
Greek Chicken Souvlaki
For the Marinade
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cubed in 2" pieces
Zest and Juice Of 2 Lemons, about 1/4 Cup but only use fresh
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves of garlic minced
- 1 Teaspoon White or Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Oregano roughly chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Parsley minced
- 2 Teaspoons Sea salt or Kosher Salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 Red Bell Pepper chopped in 1-2" pieces
- 1 Green Bell Pepper chopped in 1-2" pieces
- 1/2 Red Onion cubed
- 1 Lemon halved and rubbed with olive oil on the flesh side.
For the Tzatziki Sauce
- 1 English cucumber peeled slightly (peel, skip a section, peel, skip etc)
- 3 Cloves of garlic minced
- 2 Cups Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fresh Dill chopped
- 1/4 Teaspoon Fresh Mint. finely chopped
- a pinch of salt
- In a glass measuring cup, add the marinade ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Remove 1/4 Cup as a reserve for after the chicken is cooked.
- Add the remaining marinade in a ziploc bag, add the chicken and seal shut.
- Allow the chicken to marinade for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Turn the grill to high heat and allow to heat during the marinating process.
- Thread bell pepper and onion on the skewers followed by chicken and then topping off with more pepper and onion.*SEE NOTE.*
- Turn off all but two burners and place the skewers on the grill as well as the lemon halves.
- Turn the heat to medium.
- Grill the meat, turning often, until grill marks appear.
- Move to the warm but not hot side of the grill to finish cooking, about 15 minutes start to finish or until meat it cooked through.
- Remove the meat to a platter and tent, not wrap with foil for 5 minutes to allow juices to redistribute.
- Drizzle with the reserved marinade and a squeeze of the grilled lemons and serve with tzatziki and pitas.
- Slice the ends off of the cucumber, slice in half lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, slide the spoon down the inside of the cucumber to remove the seeds.
- Finely chop the cucumber and place in two paper towels.
- Wrap the towels and squeeze out the moisture as much as possible.
- In a bowl, whisk together the cucumber and remaining ingredients into a tzatziki sauce.
- Store in fridge until serving.
We've found that peppers and onions help the bottom and top piece of meat from drying out as well. since they are protected by the veggies. This is our own experience and has not been tested 6 billion times like ATK would do but it's a habit so we continue.