Whether you need an appetizer for the Super Bowl, 4th of July, or simply want to treat Dad to something special on Father’s Day, these Garlic Parmesan Grilled Chicken Wings fit the bill! They are perfect for feeding a bunch of dudes or just that one special dude in your life.
Irresistible Grilled Chicken Wings
I’m so glad I was asked to contribute to Dude Food Week! To be honest though, dude food is tough for me to define. Sometimes, for me, it means a big salad or a veggie wrap. But, if I’m feeding a group of other dudes, you better believe I’m making garlic parmesan chicken wings.
During the summer, my nightmare is to turn on the oven for an hour to bake wings or heat up the deep fryer, so I always turn to the grill for stuff like this. Grilled wings are so easy and so delicious.
Personally, I like my grilled wings on the spicy side, but these savory garlic parmesan wings are crowd pleasers no matter what. Whether your friends like spicy food or not, everyone will be able to dig into these bad boys.
Garlic Parmesan Grilled Chicken Wings Ingredients
These garlic parmesan chicken wings really are the BEST chicken wings recipe. Here’s everything you’ll need to grill the wings:
- Chicken wings
- Unsalted butter
- Garlic powder
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese
How to Make Garlic Parmesan Wings
Never grilled chicken wings before? Don’t fret, it’s easy! Here’s the basic rundown of how to grill chicken wings:
- Prepare grill for indirect heat grilling (keep scrolling for detailed tips on how to do this).
- Toss the wings in a neutral oil.
- Add wings to the grill in a single layer. Grill until done.
- Meanwhile, mix up the garlic parmesan wing sauce recipe.
- Toss the grilled wings in some of the garlic parmesan wing sauce. Return to grill.
- Pull the wings off and toss them a second time with the rest of the garlic parmesan wing sauce.
- Sprinkle them with extra Parmesan and serve them with any sauce you like.
How Long to Grill Chicken Wings
You’ll want to cook these garlic parm wings low and slow for 45 minutes on the grill. After the grilled wings have been tossed in the garlic parmesan wing sauce, you’ll return them to the grill and let them cook just until slightly charred.
How Long Will Chicken Wings Last in the Refrigerator?
These grilled wings should be refrigerated within 2 hours of cooking. Cooked chicken wings will keep up to 4 days in the fridge.
How to Reheat Chicken Wings
First, take the grilled chicken wings out of refrigerator and bring to room temperature. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking pan with foil and place the garlic parmesan chicken wings on the foil. Bake for 15 minutes-once they have achieved that crispy goldenness, remove and enjoy.
Can I Make Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings Without a Grill?
You can, although I’ve only ever made this specific recipe using my grill. I imagine you could use a grill pan on your stove instead, or you could bake the garlic parm wings. I recommend referencing this Sweet Hot Mustard Chicken Wings recipe for instructions on baking chicken wings.
Tips for Making Grilled Chicken Wings
When making grilled chicken wings, I like to start with whole wings and cut them into the smaller pieces that people are used to.
The key to grilling wings successfully is to start them on low heat. If you are using a gas grill, turn off one zone entirely so your garlic parm wings can cook over that zone without getting hit with direct heat. If you’re using charcoal, scoop your coals to one side so you have a big section of indirect heat. This will give them time to cook while rendering out a lot of the extra fat in the wings.
You ready for the BIG secret to making these extra good?
When the grilled chicken wings are done (you can test one if you want. It should fall apart basically), toss the wings with about 3/4 of the garlic Parmesan sauce. Then return them to the grill, but this time crank the heat up to medium-high heat (or stick them over direct charcoal heat). You have to keep a close eye on them as they will burn quickly, but this direct heat blast will crisp up the skin on the wings and make them even better.
More EASY APPETIZER RECIPES:
- The BEST Dry Rubbed Smoked Chicken Wings
- Easy BBQ Meatball Sliders
- Bacon-Wrapped Little Smokies
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs for the Oven or Slow Cooker
- Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Chili Sauce and Grape Jelly Slow Cooker Meatballs
- Chorizo Dip Queso Fundido
- ALL OF OUR SUPER BOWL RECIPES!
Garlic Parmesan Grilled Chicken Wings
- 3 pounds chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus some for garnish
- Prepare grill for indirect heat grilling. If you’re using charcoal, move the coals to one side. If you’re using gas, turn off one zone entirely.
- Chop chicken wings into flats and drumettes.
- Toss wings with neutral oil.
- Add wings to the grill in a single layer and cook for 45 minutes, turning occasionally to make sure they are cooking evenly.
- Meanwhile, melt butter and stir with garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper, red pepper flakes, and Parmesan.
- When wings are done grilling, toss with 3/4 of the butter sauce.
- Turn grill heat up to medium-high.
- Return wings to grill over direct heat and grill a second time for just a few minutes.
- Watch them closely until they get some char marks and the skin crisps up.
- Remove wings and toss with remainder of sauce.
- Sprinkle with extra Parmesan cheese and serve with a sauce of your choosing.