I used to hate lasagna, but the older I get the more I like it. We had my brother in law over for his birthday dinner back in January and he requested lasagna. We made this one from ATK a few times and it’s really good. This time I altered the sauce, so I will include the original and mine. Both are delicious, but the hubby and I decided we like the alterations better.
We also served roasted garlic artisan bread with dipping oil. I got this recipe at a cooking class by Nicole, who blogs over at A little Sussy and it is awesome! We love it! Thanks Nicole!
How Long Will Lasagna Keep?
Lasagna will keep for 3-5 days in the refrigerator.
To store left over lasagna, cover tightly with foil or place in an airtight container.
Can You Freeze Lasagna Before Baking?
You can prepare and freeze lasagna to be used at a later time.
Assemble the lasagna in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
What Is The Difference Between White and Yellow Onion?
White onions have a sharper and more pungent flavor than yellow onions.
White onions tend to be more tender and have a thinner, more papery skin.
Yellow onions become sweeter the longer they cook.
Hearty Meat Lasagna and Dipping Oil
Italian Dipping Oil
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste and for some reason we always add a little more)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped fine (I used 3/4)
- 6 Medium Cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 Pound meat loaf mix or 1/3 each ground veal, pork and beef chuck (We sometimes do that or we prefer 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage and 1/2 pound ground turkey)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Can Pureed Tomatoes (28 oz)
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes, drained (28 oz)
Ricotta and Mozzarella Layers
- 15 Oz Whole Milk Ricotta (We use Part Skim)
- 2 1/2 oz Parmesan Cheese ( We use 1 1/2 cups fresh parm)
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Basil, Chopped (We use a little less than 1/2 cup)
- 1 Large Egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh ground black pepper
- 12 Lasagna noodles (no boil, but we have boil so we just use those)
- 1 Pound Whole-Milk Mozzarella Cheese, shredded (That's about 4 cups, but we use 5. Hahaha I know it's not healthy, but I like it cheesy on top)
For the Dipping Oil
- Combine in a small bowl and use for dipping bread or over steak (which is so so good)
For the Lasagna
- Heat Oven to 375.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering, but not smoking.
- Add the onion and cook stirring occasionally for about 2min.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 min.
- Increase the heat to med-high and add the meat, salt and pepper; cook, breaking the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Cook until the meat has lost its raw color, but has not browned, about 4 min.
- Add the cream and simmer, stirring occasionally until the liquid evaporates and only the fat remains, about 4 min.
- Add the pureed and diced tomatoes and bring to a simmer;
- reduce to low and simmer slowly until the flavors blend, about 3 min.
- Set aside. (The sauce can be cooled and stored for 2 days and then reheated and assembled.)
FOR THE LAYERS
- Mix the ricotta, 1 cup of the Parmesan, basil, egg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl with a fork until well combined.
- Set aside.
- Cover the bottom of a 9x13 with 1/4 cup of the meat sauce (avoiding large chunks of meat)
- Place 3 noodles on the bottom of the dish.
- Drop 3 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture down the center of each noodle, pressing down with the back of a spoon.
- Cover with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon 1 1/2 cup of the meat sauce evenly over the cheese.
- Repeat the layers ending with the cup of mozz and 1/4 cup parm.
- Spray foil with nonstick spray and place over lasagna.
- Bake 15 min then remove the foil and continue to bake until the cheese is bubbly and spotty brown, about 25 min.
- Cool 10 min and serve!
Serving Size:1 recipe
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 5162 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 1222mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 254.6g Fiber: 40.2g Sugar: 59g Protein: 319.1g