This may not be my Mama’s recipe, but I’m a mom so I think the name still fits. 😉 What is it about lasagna and especially lasagna soup that feels like home? I mean, I know it’s all saucy and delicious, but it’s not like I’m Italian, or even have an ounce of Italian (or I-talian like my dad says. Gah, I hate that. It’s like saying, law-yur) in me, but it totally feels like home to me. This soup happens to be our new favorite soup. It’s like a cross between a creamy soup and broth soup due to the addition of a little ricotta in it. It’s hearty, beefy, and delicious. In other words, perfection.
I seem to always have some broken lasagna noodles in the bottom of the box, so this is pretty much the perfect solution so that you don’t waste them, but I’m also totally willing to break up new lasagna noodles to be able to eat this. You will want to be careful though, the noodles will slowly soak up more and more broth, so I never add them until the last 15 minutes and if I’m freezing the soup or making a bigger batch in order to have leftovers I save the noodles until I’m ready to eat it.
My absolute favorite, favorite, favorite part is all of that baked cheese on top. Oh my heavens. It really is wonderful, and while you may be tempted to skip out on the bread, don’t!! Really, dipping pieces of crusty baguette in the soup is essential to your happiness.
This soup is also a great idea for Super Bowl Sunday. The snacks are all fantastic, but you kinda need something a little more substantial too. This soup is hearty and cheesy enough that the party guests will looooooooooove it, and you can just let it simmer away until they arrive. Easy Peasy.
Don’t have fresh herbs? No worries, I tend to use a lot of Gourmet Garden herbs. They are in tubes in the produce section. Want to learn more about cooking fresh foods with herbs which helps promote a healthier lifetsyle and try out Gourmet Garden Herbs? Enter the giveaway!!
Can Lasagna Be Made Ahead?
If you assemble and bake the lasagna ahead of time, you shouldn’t keep it longer than three days in the refrigerator.
You can assemble unbaked lasagna and cover in the refrigerator for one day before baking.
You can assemble and freeze unbaked lasagna for up to 3 months.
How Long Will Soup Keep?
Properly stored, soup will keep for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
It should be stored in an airtight container.
Mama’s Lasagna Soup
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Mama's Lasagna Soup
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Onion diced
- 4 cloves Garlic small, minced
- 1 Green Pepper diced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano chopped
- 1 teaspoon parsley chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon basil chopped
- 1 Lb Ground Beef
- 32 oz. Beef Broth
- 1/2 Cup Ricotta
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 28 oz Diced Tomatoes (I've used 14.5 oz and it's still delicious)
- 8 oz Tomato Sauce
- 2 Cups Lasagna Noodles Broken
- 1 Cup Mozarella Cheese shredded
- Baguette For dipping
- In a heavy bottomed pot, over medium high heat, add the olive oil until it just starts to shimmer.
- Add the garlic, stirring as you add it and cook for a few seconds, then add the onion.
- Turn the heat down to medium and stir occasionally as you wait for the onion to turn soft and translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the green pepper, oregano, parsley and basil.
- Stir to combine and let cook for one minute.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned and no longer raw.
- Add the beef broth and ricotta, whisking to break up the ricotta and help it to melt into the soup. Sometimes I press it up against the side of the pot to help it melt evenly.
- Add the brown sugar, tomatoes and tomato sauce, stirring to combine.
- Let simmer all day for maximum flavor or at least 20 minutes.
- The last 15 minutes add the broken lasagna noodles and cook until tender.
- Place the soup in oven safe bowls or soup mugs and top with cheese.
- Heat the broiler to high heat and place the soup in the oven.
- Once the cheese is golden and melted remove from the oven and serve with warm bread.
More great soup ideas
Last year’s Dr Pepper and Chocolate Chili was a huge hit!
All I can say about this roasted tomato soup with mini grilled cheese “croutons” is that you should make it. Now.