Are Roasted Tomatoes Good For You?
Tomatoes contain lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that reduces the risk of many types of cancer.
Roasted tomatoes are delicious, healthy and can be used in dozens of ways.
I just know that I can’t be the only one that still has tomato coming out her ears. Right? I was wracking my brain about what to do with our huge colander stacked high with tomatoes, when I suddenly thought, what if I use those flavors, but make a soup to help move us into fall? DING DING DING! Roasted Tomato Basil Soup with mini grilled cheese croutons was born.
How Long Will Roasted Tomato Soup Keep?
Homemade Tomato Soup will keep 2-3 days in the Refrigerator.
I love those little grilled cheese bites that act like little croutons in the soup. I’m not even kidding, it’s so delicious together.
The best soup is always made when you roast the veggies first. Roasting tomatoes always sounds a little fancy when in fact it’s the easiest thing you can do in the kitchen. Slice, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in the oven.
Click play on our video and you can see me make it right in front of you.
Can You Freeze Roasted Tomato Soup?
Good news: Tomato soups freeze very well! So you really don’t need a special recipe, though I’m about to give you one.
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup with Mini Grilled Cheese “Croutons”
Roasted Tomato Soup
Roasted tomato basil soup with mini grilled cheese bites that act as delicious croutons. Soup perfection for dinner tonight.
- 8-12 Tomatoes, chopped in quarters (depending on the size is how many you’ll need)
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Onion
- 3 Cups Roasted Tomato Puree (from the above- place in a blender and puree until desired texture)
- 1 Cup Juice from roasting, seeds strained out
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Basil, chopped
- Baguette, sliced into crostinis
- Fresh Mozzarella cheese
- Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet that has been lightly drizzled with olive oil.
- Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle evenly with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Roast at 425 for 20-40 minutes or until shriveled and soft.
- Remove from the oven.
- Let cool for a few minutes and then place the tomatoes, reserving the juices, into a blender (we use Blendtec) and puree until you have 3 cups. If you come up short just add tomato sauce to reach 3 cups.
- Drizzle about 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large sauce pot.
- Heat over medium high heat until shimmering.
- Add the garlic and onions, turn down to medium and stir frequently.
- Allow to cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato puree, juice, chicken stock, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Stir and then allow to come to a boil.
- Boil for 10 minutes and turn down to a simmer.
- Add the cream and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place mozzarella between slices of the baguette, butter the outside and cook in a skillet over medium heat until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden. (You’re just making little grilled cheeses)
- Remove to a cutting board and chop into 1/2-1″ squares.
- Fill a bowl with soup, fresh basil and mini grilled cheese croutons.
*If you wish to freeze this soup for winter, wait to add the cream until you are ready to eat it.
Want to go healthier? We use half cream half almond milk or even all unsweetened almond milk.