Pretty much my entire love of food started in my home. There are 5 kids in my family and good food created a bit of a domestic war in our house. For example, my family loves Mom’s fruit pizza, but once it got stuck in the fridge it was fair game for whoever got to it first. And generally that was Dad. I’m pretty sure he got up in the middle of the night and ate it but it created a lot of whining by us kids.
I’m not kidding, it was so bad. I’d make deviled eggs and stick them in the fridge to chill, but by the time I finished homework the eggs had been finished off. We quickly took to labeling which probably helped me out in college because 7 girls in one apartment with one bathroom and one fridge definitely made things tricky.
Well, now I’m a big girl, I make the rules in my home, AND I can make dessert whenever I want. HECK YES! Mom’s fruit pizza has a really yummy oat crust and while I know that many of you go for the sugar cookie and cream cheese fruit pizza I have to plead with you to make this one. It’s the real thing. A real crust that has such a wonderful flavor with those finely ground walnuts. Of course we used Fisher Nuts. I love that I can count on their quality and it’s nothing but nuts. No extras in there.
Is Oatmeal Gluten Free?
Yes, pure oats are gluten-free.
The problem can be contamination.
Unless oatmeal is labeled gluten free, it could have been packaged in a facility that packages wheat products.
In this case, the oatmeal could be contaminated.
How Can You Tell if Kiwis are Ripe?
Look for firm, unblemished fruit, and don’t worry about the size — smaller kiwifruit taste just the same as larger ones.
Press the outside of the fruit with your thumb.
If it gives to slight pressure, the kiwifruit is ripe.
Is Kiwi Good For You?
Kiwi is full of nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin E, folate, and potassium.
Kiwis have a lot of antioxidants and are a good source of fiber.
Mom’s Fruit Pizza
- 1 Cup flour
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 Cup oatmeal
- 9 Tablespoons butter, cut in pieces
- Pinch of salt
- Strawberries, sliced
- Mandarin Oranges
- Kiwi, sliced
- Bananas, sliced
- 1 8oz. container of cool whip
- 1 small box of instant vanilla, lemon or banana pudding
- Dash of vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients and toss to mix thoroughly.
- Add the butter and using two forks or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the mix until it resembles small peas.
- On lightly greased pizza pan or baking sheet, press dough into 12 inch circle.
- Prick with a fork
- Bake 10-12 minutes or till golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely.
- In another bowl, mix the cool whip and pudding with a dash of vanilla. This must be well mixed but not over mixed and used immediately or it will turn grainy.
- Spread this on cooled crust, then arrange with slices of your favorite fruit.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 410 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 74.5mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 33.9g Fiber: 1.7g Sugar: 11.5g Protein: 4.9g