These raspberry cream cheese muffins are delicious and perfect for a Saturday morning with the family. (Or any morning for that matter). I got the recipe from my girlfriend, Nalani, but I can’t remember where she got it from. Maybe it’s her own? Anyway, the orange zest is for sure the best part of the recipe. It adds a little something wonderful to the muffins.
Cream cheese, juicy raspberries and just that little bit of orange zest make these muffins oh. so. good. SO GOOD! Besides the fact that these are absolutely delicious, using whole wheat flour and 2% milk instead of cream really helps to make this recipe a healthier breakfast choice without sacrificing any of the delicious flavor. Although these are absolutely scrumptious warm and fragrant right from the oven, these are also a great to make ahead to have for busy mornings and the ever present mid morning tummy growl.
You can serve these with a bit of your favorite jam, honey, butter, or just do like we do and eat them plain and let all the creamy raspberry goodness flood into your mouth. You won’t be able to keep a smile off your face. Surprise your family with a yummy breakfast this weekend.
Are Muffins Bread?
Muffins are a form of bread.
They are categorized as “quick” bread.
The leavening agent in quick bread is usually baking soda or baking powder.
The leavening agent in other bread is typically yeast.
Muffins are served for breakfast.
Can Muffins Be Frozen?
Let the muffins cool completely.
Wrap in foil, freezer wrap or place in freezer bag.
Muffins can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Are Raspberries Good For You?
Raspberries are a healthy choice of fruit.
They contain antioxidants such as Vitamin C, quercetin and gallic acid that fight against cancer, heart and circulatory disease and age-related decline.
Raspberries have been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties.
Raspberry Cream Cheese Muffins
Recipe given by Nalani
- 2 rounded cups of frozen or fresh raspberries
- 3-4 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 stick softened butter
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup 2% milk (or cream)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place raspberries and sugar in a large bowl.
- Stir to combine so that berries are coated in sugar.
- Set aside.
- In a stand or electric mixer cream the butter, cream cheese, sugar and orange zest until well combined.
- Slowly beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined.
- Combine the flour, wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
- With mixer on low, add half the flour, then half milk, then remaining flour, then remaining milk until just combined.
- Spray muffin tin with cooking spray and fill with muffin batter, about ¾ full.
- Press 4 berries into tops of each unbaked muffin.
- Bake for 23-28 minutes or until golden brown on top and cooked through.
- Remove and let cool.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 180 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 40.9mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 22.5g Fiber: 1.5g Sugar: 13.4g Protein: 2.8g