When you’re looking for a healthy dinner idea that’s quick and easy and that picky eaters will eat try our Nutella Stuffed Double Chocolate Banana Muffins. Oh, did I say healthy?
What I meant to say was, when you’re looking for a breakfast for dinner recipe that picky eaters will eat, because, Mama these nutella stuffed double chocolate banana muffins are not healthy, but you will feel happy after eating them.
It’s amazing to me how often breakfast for dinner makes me happy. I mean, it’s not like it’s every week, though we have had many months like that. Especially when I’ve got the Hyperemesis Gravidarum, it’s not morning sickness thing going on. And heaven knows I’m not the one making it. Like, at all. I’m not even on the same floor of the house, because smells are my worst nightmare during pregnancy.
But, I’ve become distracted, let’s not bring HG into the conversation, let’s stick with chocolate.
After years of testing our BEST Banana Bread recipe we had no choice, but to go crazy with 500 billion adapted recipes and this particular nutella stuffed double chocolate banana muffins recipe is a combination of our obsession with a chocolate muffin we found in Italy, this Nutella Swirled Banana Muffins recipe and our favorite, moist banana bread with chocolate chips.
I still can’t figure out why so many of our readers resist chocolate chips in banana bread, so if you must take them out of this recipe, I understand, but you’re missing out for sure.
Our Nutella Swirled Banana Muffins recipe has a lot of good information about muffins, so please make sure you take a second to pop on over there.
What Makes Muffins Rise
There are a lot of different recipes with a lot of different combinations to make the muffins rise. Typically baking powder is a go to for a quick bread, but in all of our banana bread testing we discovered that the acid from the bananas and the baking soda work best to make a nice rise on the muffins.
If you’re making regular muffins without fruit or a quick bread loaf you’ll often see baking powder which is great.
What Should Bananas Look Like for Banana Bread?
Bananas should never be black or pure yellow for banana bread. These are the perfect bananas for banana bread.
More Delicious Muffin Recipes!
- Blueberry Muffins
- Costco Copycat Pumpkin Crumb Muffins
- Blackberry Pie Muffins
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin White Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Blackberries and Cream Muffins
- Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Muffins
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Nutella Stuffed Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- Zucchini Muffins
- Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
Nutella Stuffed Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 1 2/3 Cups Flour
- 1/3 Cup Cocoa
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 Cup Canola Oil
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 5 Tablespoons Sour Cream
- 1 1/3 Cups Mashed Banana, about 2 very large bananas or 3 small
- 2/3 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- 1/3-1/2 Cup Nutella
- Place two large spoonfulls of nutella in a bowl and place in the freezer.
- Set out the eggs and sour cream.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar. Add in the eggs and sour cream and whisk again, but be sure to not over mix.
- Dump the dry ingredients, banana and chocolate chips on the wet ingredients and switching to a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, gently fold the ingredients together just until a few streaks of flour remain.
- Scoop one large spoonful (we actually use a cookie scoop ) into the bottom of the muffin wells and place a dollop of the frozen nutella in the batter. Cover with batter up to 2/3 high in the cup.
- Place a little nutella on top of the batter and using a small knife, starting at the outside edge of the batter, swirl through and around the nutella.
- Allow to rest in the pan for 8-12 minutes before baking. See note.
- Bake at 350 for 12-16 minutes for regular muffins, or 18-22 for jumbo. The muffins are done when lightly golden and the middle springs back up when you touch the top.
- Once the muffins are done, open the oven door, turn off the oven and let the muffins rest for 2 minutes, no longer, before carefully setting it on the counter for a few more minutes to cool.
It’s happening!! We took nutella and bananas and made magic. These nutella swirled banana muffins are also stuffed with creamy, delicious nutella!