Have you ever walked into a house that smells like the holidays? I had this friend growing up that every time we went to her house once fall hit it smelled like she was always cooking up something full of spices and it was all kinds of amazing. That’s what this spice cake with maple frosting is like.
It’s warm, soft, crumb is lovely but the spices with that sweet maple frosting is what’s really a kicker. It is fantastic! It’s based off of my mom’s cookie cake which if you haven’t had that, well get on it! Even if you don’t think you like spice cake, or cake in general, you will love this one.
There’s a splash of apple cider which adds a new depth of flavor without tasting like apple at all. Although if you like apple like we do, I INSIST you try our apple butter sheet cake with brown butter apple frosting. It’s soooo yum! And the maple frosting, yeah I could eat it by the spoonful. And maybe we did just that…
Why Do Cakes Fall in the Middle?
There are several reasons why cakes fall.
If the temperature in the oven is too high, the cake will rise rapidly and then fall in the middle.
Opening the oven door or banging the door shut can cause a cake to fall.
Too much baking powder or baking soda, or expired baking powder or soda will cause a cake to sink in the middle.
Over beating the batter will put too much air in the batter, and it will sink as the air bubbles pop during baking.
Also, if you let the batter sit too long after mixing, before baking, the cake will fall.
What Frosting Goes Well On Spice Cake?
Cream cheese frosting is the classic choice for Spice Cake.
Caramel frosting, brown sugar frosting and maple frosting are amazing on spice cake.
Spice cake is also good when topped with whipped cream.
Can You Freeze Spice Cake?
You can freeze spice cake.
Wrap in will in plastic or foil and freeze for up to 3 months.
Spice Cake with Maple Frosting
- 1/2 Cups Water
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup Shortening
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon Allspice
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
For the Frosting
- 1/4 Cup Butter, melted
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 1/2-3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Maple Extract
- Heat oven to 350
- Pour the water and apple cider into a large glass measuring cup and heat in the microwave until hot.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the mixture.
- Mix the shortening and sugar and then add the egg and mix until smooth.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and spices.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the soda water in a standing mixer. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Add the vanilla and pour into a 9x13" baking pan that is coated with nonstick spray.
- Bake for 20-25 min or until springy.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- While still warm, top with frosting.
For the frosting
- Using a handheld mixer, mix the frosting ingredients until smooth and frost the cake.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 373 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 26.1mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 61g Fiber: 0.7g Sugar: 44.2g Protein: 2.7g