You can make a regular cake, cupcakes, bundt cake or even a layered cake and turn it into strawberries and cream shortcake!
Every summer is the same, surrounded by strawberries. Not only do we love when berry season hits Utah purely so that we can munch on fresh, juicy strawberries, but we also love finding new ways to make the classic strawberry shortcake.
What Is Shortcake?
Shortcake is a sweet cake or biscuit.
Can You Use a White Cake For Strawberry Shortcake?
You can use a white cake, an angel food cake, or actual shortcake, which is a sweet biscuit, to make strawberry shortcake.
This strawberries and cream shortcake is an old recipe that many of you probably had as a kid. Those are our favorite recipes to share because we always get the most lovely comments and emails about a long lost recipe Grandma used to make and finally finding it on our blog. Isn’t that wonderful that the internet exists and allows us to connect with the past again?
Can You Use Frozen Strawberries in Strawberry Shortcake?
You can use frozen or fresh.
Whatever you have on hand will be fine.
If frozen, defrost first.
Facebook is the perfect example though I often wonder if we would be better off without it. It can get a tad political for my liking.
Not true in this case though. A reader mentioned that her family used to make strawberry shortcake but not just with whipped cream, instead it seemed like it was a cream cheese mixture. I just knew it had to be this recipe.
You can make it anyway you like. Short on time? Just make a regular cake and spread the topping all over so it’s easily sliced into squares. Looking for cute? Make cupcakes and either cut them in half and fill them or gently spoon the cream mixture on top and drizzle a berry or two over that. We like to use a bundt pan and slice the whole thing in half then fill it for a pretty presentation.
No matter which way you do it remember that the key to this recipe is allowing plenty of time for cooling and setting up. The cake and sauce mixture both need to cool and then once assembled you’ll want more refrigeration so the sauce and berries set up and don’t slide all over.
Strawberries and Cream Shortcake
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Strawberries and Cream Shortcake
- 1 White Cake Mix
- Ingredients for the cake mix depending on the brand you buy.
- 1 Package Cream Cheese 8 oz (1 brick), room temperature
- 1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar divided
- 1 1/2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 4 ounce Packet Strawberry Junket Found by the Jell-o
- 1 3/4 Cups Water
- 4 Cups Strawberries or 1 Clamshell, sliced
- You can choose to make a bundt cake as shown or any variation, 2 round cakes, one 9x13" or even cupcakes. Follow the directions on the box and allow the cake to cool completely.
- Bring the water to a boil and add the junket, stirring continually until dissolved and thick.
- Place in a bowl in the fridge to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks begin to form.
- Beat in 1/2 cup of powdered sugar until peaks are formed.
- Set aside.
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth in a large bowl.
- Beat in the powdered sugar until creamy.
- Fold in the whipped cream until evenly incorporated.
- Slice the bundt in half, making a top and a bottom layer.
- Spread the cream mixture over the bottom layer.
- Remove the cooled sauce from the fridge and stir in the berries.
- Spread all over the cream on the cake and place the top of the cake back on.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Slice and serve.