I don’t know what it is about these three ingredients combined, but this braised sausage, cabbage and potatoes dish is my new favorite easy dinner recipe! Perfect for St Patricks Day dinner!
I don’t love St Patrick’s Day. I can’t ever think up anything cute and the traps, ohhhhh the traps! They are so fun and I love watching the kids work for hours on them, but I’m also not crafty so I don’t just have doodads and whatsits lying around waiting to be artified.
Last year I was feeling all the feels of an inkling that we would be moving soon and then the dreaded St Paddy’s Day hit. I immediately asked my friend Megan why we had to celebrate and she came back with, “just do the ol’ cabbage, sausage and potatoes in one pot and be done.”
Wait what? No whining alongside me? She actually had a plan?! And so I did, I followed her example and recipe and voila! Dinner was done in 30 and it was delicious! WHY IS IT DELICIOUS!? It is literally 3 ingredients but everyone ate the whole darn thing. AND what was leftover I put in the Food Saver and froze it and oh my goodness, it totally held up perfectly a few weeks later when we had it again!
Ingredients for Sausage, Cabbage and Potatoes
Are you ready for the 6 (possibly 7) ingredients you need to make this quick and easy dinner? This is what you will need:
- Sausage: you can use any type of sausage you want…chicken, turkey, pork, etc…bratwurst also works or a kielbasa
- Potatoes: I prefer the flavor of Yukon Gold potatoes, but red potatoes would also work or just plain Russets, peeling is optional
- Red or Yellow Onion: either type works great, it just depends on which flavor your prefer
- Cabbage: regular green cabbage is my go-to, but you could also use red. If you’re using this for St Patricks Day, then the more green the better!
- Olive Oil: helps caramelize the onions
- Salt and Pepper: adds flavor
- Garlic: this is totally optional, it tastes great without it, but it does add delicious flavor if you are a garlic fan
The measurements for each ingredient can be found in the recipe card at the end of this post.
Tips for Making Sausage, Cabbage and Potatoes
- Cut the potatoes to be the same size so that they cook evenly.
- Use a dutch oven, it caramelizes the onions and cooks the sausage and potatoes perfectly.
- Don’t use too high of heat when cooking. The onions will start to burn before everything else cooks through.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Easy: you only need 6 (possibly 7) ingredients, and it is all made in one pot which makes it super easy to clean up and the prep work is minimal
- Quick: you can have dinner on the table in 30 minutes
- Inexpensive: you only need a few ingredients and all the ingredients are easy on the budget
- Family Friendly: it’s rare I develop a recipe that the whole family loves, but everyone loved and devoured this one!
Can This Be Made in the Instant Pot?
Yes, this recipe works great in the Instant Pot. You’ll want to cook the potatoes first. Peel and slice the potatoes to the size you want and then toss them into the Instant Pot for 2-3 minutes on high pressure. Then let it natural release for 5-10 minutes. Remove the lid and switch it to saute mode and add a little olive oil. Add the onions, sausage and cabbage and cook it until the potatoes are starting to get golden, the onions are translucent and the cabbage is cooked down. Salt and pepper to taste.
Storing, Reheating and Freezing Cabbage, Sausage and Potatoes
Braised sausage, cabbage and potatoes should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and it will keep for up to 3 days.
I’ve found that reheating this dish works great in the microwave. Just zap it for 1-2 minutes depending on how much you’re warming up.
This dish freezes great like I mentioned above! Store in an airtight and freezer safe container for up to 3 months. If you want to use the Food Saver, it will keep for up to 6 months.
This braised sausage, cabbage and potatoes recipe is a simple but hearty dinner recipe that is so satisfying! It checks all the boxes for a great St Patricks Day dinner, but I’m making this one all year round!
Watch How to Make One Pot Sausage, Cabbage and Potatoes Video
More St Patrick’s Day Recipes:
- Cheesy Irish Sliders
- Irish Beef Stew
- Irish Soda Bread
- Corned Beef and Cabbage
- St Patrick’s Day Snack Mix
- St Patrick’s Day Chocolate Bark
- All our St Patrick’s Day Recipes!
Braised One Pan Sausage and Cabbage and Potatoes – St. Patrick’s Day Dinner
- 4 Sausages, sliced, I used garlic flavored
- 5 Yukon Gold Potatoes , medium, chopped in large chunks
- 1 Red or Yellow Onion, sliced
- 1 Head Cabbage, cored and chopped
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 3 Cloves Garlic , optional
- Drizzle olive oil in a dutch oven and add the sausages and potatoes over medium high heat.
- Top with onions and then cabbage and season well with salt and pepper and garlic if using.
- Place the lid on and reduce the heat to medium, stirring about every 10 minutes for 30 minutes. Season more if needed and serve.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES