Do you ever go on walks as a family? We went on drives more than walks growing up and I think at least part of that was because it was often raining in Vancouver, Washington. Or Dad was gone. He was a busy business man and served as Bishop of our ward for a lot of my childhood. Now our little family goes on walks all the time when the weather permits and today we came home to this wonton chinese chicken salad. It might even be my favorite over our Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad copycat. It’s those wontons…
I know that taking a walk is good for the body so bringing us home to a salad with fried food in it kind of kills everything we did on the walk but it’s ok with me. Today was more about us as a family than anything anyway. While we were walking we got in some good conversation about feeling good about ourselves and what makes us happy. Have you ever asked your kids what really makes them happy?
Even if you think you know the answer you should go ahead and chat with them about it. They open up more and more as you take turns sharing and it’s always surprising to me how little they need or want, instead it’s really just about time. I felt so much peace tonight as I watched our kiddos stop by a random sprinkler and play in it while the sun was setting behind them. I hate that I let myself forget what it was like to be little. Maybe that’s why I like walks so much, it slows everything down and puts me in my place again.
What is Napa Cabbage?
Napa cabbage originated near the Beijing region of China.
It is commonly known as “Chinese Cabbage”.
What Is The Difference Between Napa Cabbage And Regular?
Green cabbage has a firm round head with broad, light green leaves.
Regular green cabbage has a light, peppery flavor when eaten raw, which mellows when cooked.
Napa cabbage looks quite different from the rest.
It’s large and oblong instead of soccer ball-like and has frilly pale yellow-green leaves.
Its flavor is a little sweeter than green and red cabbage, and the leaves are far more tender.
Can Almonds Cause An Allergic Reaction?
Tree nuts such as almonds are one of the leading causes of allergic reactions.
These allergic reactions can range from a mild rash to severe breathing difficulties.
WonTon Chinese Chicken Salad
WonTon Chinese Chicken Salad
- 1 cup oil
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame seed
- 1/2 cup vinegar apple cider
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger ground
- 5 shots Tabasco sauce
- 1 rotisserie chicken or Crispy Chicken Fingers, chopped or 3 shredded chicken breasts, cooked and cooled
- 1 head iceburg lettuce small, chopped
- 1 bunch romaine lettuce small, chopped
- 1 Cup Cabbage each Napa and Red, sliced thin
- 2 cans mandarin oranges small, drained
- 1/4 Cup Almonds Sliced
- Fried Wontons see note
- Mix all ingredients together in blender except sesame seeds.
- Add sesame seeds and put in refrigerator to chill.
- Combine salad ingredients and toss with dressing immediately before serving.
- I prefer to serve the dressing on the side and allow each person to dress their own. This way if there are leftovers you can actually save them and not have soggy salad.
- I find the wontons in the produce section of the grocery store, it is usually near the fresh salsa and cut veggie trays. I just slice them in thin strips with a knife or kitchen shears and fry them for a second in hot oil, turning continuously.
- Remove from oil and place on paper towels.