These quick and easy Asian Chicken Skewers with honey garlic sauce is sticky, sweet and savory and guaranteed crowd pleasers! Fire up the grill or cook them on the stovetop for a dish that the whole family will love.
Hi there Oh Sweet Basil readers! Jess here from Inquiring Chef. My husband and I have been sharing fun, flavorful recipes for home cooks on our website since 2010. It’s been a wild and wonderful ride. During that time we moved from Washington, D.C. to Thailand to Kansas City and welcomed our twin daughters to the world. Our third baby girl is due in July!
I’m so excited to be dropping into Carrian and Cade’s space today. I just love their delicious family-friendly recipes (don’t even get me started on that Nutella Dulce De Leche Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie), so wanted to bring you something easy, flavorful, and perfect for summer.
Easy Recipe for Picky Toddlers
Enter these Asian chicken skewers with honey garlic sauce. Eight ingredients, just a few minutes to prepare, and even picky toddlers love them. (We test all of our recipes on the most discerning critics we know…our four-year-olds.)
Easy Summer Recipe
With warm weather finally here, we’re planning to spend as much time outside as possible. I’m all about those summer vibes – kids running in sprinklers, fresh cut grass, long days, and low-key dinners that are tossed on the grill and served outside. Chicken skewers are the definition of a low-key summer meal.
Asian Chicken Skewers
- Can be prepped ahead
- Use one sauce as both a glaze and a dip
- Are sweet and savory
- Cook fast (in under 10 minutes)
Tips for Skewers
The best shortcut for assembling quick skewers is to buy pre-cut (uncooked) chicken tenders. No chopping necessary – just slide the chicken tenders onto skewers, season with some salt and pepper, cover, and refrigerate until you’re ready to cook.
Honey Garlic Dipping Sauce
But what makes these particular chicken skewers so special is the easy Honey Garlic Dipping Sauce they’re served with. Sweet and savory goodness. It only takes a few ingredients and you can pop the sauce in the fridge to use on other dishes the next week if you don’t need all of it.
How Long Does Dipping Sauce Keep in the Fridge
The sauce keeps in the fridge for up to a week, so make a batch and just pull it out when you’re ready to cook. This recipe makes extra sauce because some of it is used as a glaze on the chicken. Extra sauce also makes for happy dipping and drizzling. Because no one passes up extra honey garlic dipping sauce. No one.
I hope you’ll add these delicious Asian chicken skewers with honey garlic sauce to your summer dinner rotation. Happy grilling friends!
More Asian Recipes:
- Chinese Orange Chicken
- Korean Asian Braised Short Ribs
- Quick and Easy 15-Minute Chicken Stir Fry
- One Pan Simple Asian Shrimp Noodles
- Teriyaki Chicken Casserole
- Thai Peanut Steak Salad
- Pork Dumplings
- Quick and Easy Cashew Chicken
- Teriyaki Chicken Noodles
- Sweet and Spicy Orange Salmon
- Grilled Sweet and Sour Chicken
- …All of Our Asian Recipes!
Asian Chicken Skewers with Honey Garlic Sauce
Asian Chicken Skewers with Honey Garlic Sauce
For the skewers:
- 10 to 12 wooden or metal skewers, one skewer per chicken tender
- 1 1/2 lbs pre-cut, uncooked chicken tenders
- salt and black pepper
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil, we use grapeseed oil for high heat cooking
For the sauce:
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar, light or dark
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp water, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- Prepare skewers: If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 15 minutes to prevent burning. Thread one chicken tender onto each skewer. Season on all sides with salt and black pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Make sauce: Combine garlic, chicken stock, soy sauce, honey, brown sugar, and rice vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat, stirring constantly, until the sauce begins to simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavors come together. Whisk together water and cornstarch. Add to sauce while stirring. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, 1 to 2 minutes more. Set aside (or refrigerate for up to a week).
- Cook chicken skewers: Prepare outdoor grill or place a grill pan over medium-high heat (if using stovetop).
- Brush grill grates with cooking oil and place chicken skewers over direct heat.
- Grill chicken on both sides until nearly cooked through (5 to 7 minutes, depending on thickness).
- While chicken cooks, divide sauce in half, setting one half aside for serving.
- Brush one half of sauce over both sides of chicken in the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Serve chicken skewers with remaining sauce for dipping. (We love these over rice with steamed broccoli on the side!)
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.
I submitted a post today, which I saw you have posted.
My comment was actually a question which I wanted an
answer to. Did you see my comment, asking whether the
Asian Chicken Skewers with honey garlic sauce can be cooked
in the oven (baked) and would they still be as good? I don’t have a grill or grill pan. Are they expensive – do they work well
on top of the stove?? Can SOMEONE reply??? Thank you.
Yes, you could absolutely bake them! Bake them at 350 degrees for 20-30 minute depending on the size of the chicken pieces you put on the skewers. We love our grill pan and use it often, especially in the winter! You can get some as low at $40-50 that get the job done!
I would like to make Asian Chicken Skewers with honey garlic sauce but don’t have a grill or grill pan. Can they be cooked
in the oven (baked)? Would the outcome not be as good?
Let me know.
(are grill pans expensive? do they work well on top of stove?)
Hope to hear from you. Thanks.
Brittany Audra @ Audra’s Appetite
That honey garlic sauce looks so flavorful and perfect for this grill recipe! Can’t wait to try. Perfect for this weekend!
It’s all about the sauce!