Can’t decide between cookies, pie or ice cream for dessert? It’s time for a mashup! Nutella Dulce de Leche Chocolate Chip Cookie pie– say that 10 times fast.
My two favorite desserts in an ultimate dessert mashup! Nutella Dulce De Leche Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie is a flaky, buttery pie crust, a thick layer of nutella and dulce de leche that is to die for and then to top it all off, gooey chocolate chip cookie dough and a sprinkling of sea salt.
What can I say about this recipe that wont sound annoying and over the top? I mean, it’s seriously so delicious I could sit here and gab about it forever but I can feel the eyes rolling already.
So I’ll give you a quick run down and then, and don’t you dare judge me, I’m going to go grab a sliver for myself, warm it up in the microwave, add a dollop of ice cream and watch an episode of The Chew before the kids get home. That’s right, I’m taking a lazy mom break and I know you’re a little jealous.
It all starts with my Grandma’s Pie Crust. Years ago my sister posted a yummy pie crust recipe, but it’s my mom’s that her mom gave her that’s my favorite. It’s easy and flaky and that’s perfection.
Then we have a little nutella and dulce de leche. If you haven’t bought dulce de leche it’s basically sweetened condensed milk boiled into caramel. Enough said.
Finally there’s the gooey, chewy, oh my gosh I am so hungry, chocolate chip cookie dough layer. We felt like there was so much sweet that to balance it all we added some flaked sea salt and oh my sweet deliciousness. It’s wonderful. Serve it a la mode or just as is. It’s heaven. I love it. And you, I love you. (I think I’m a tad light hearted about my afternoon mom break)
Nutella Dulce De Leche Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
Nutella Dulce de Leche Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
For the Pie
- 3 Cups Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Cup Butter
- ¾ Cup Shortening chilled in the fridge
- ½ Cup Very Cold Water
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Vinegar
For the Cookie Dough
- ½ Cup Butter softened
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Large egg
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ Cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- ¼ Cup Milk Chocolate Chips
For the Filling
- 3/4 Cup Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- ¾ Cup Dulce De Leche
- Sea Salt Flakes
- Ice Cream
- Hot fudge Sauce
- Caramel Sauce
For the crust
- In a large bowl, add the flour and salt and whisk together.
- Cut the butter and shortening into the flour.
- In a measuring cup, add the water, egg and vinegar and whisk to combine.
- Using a fork, make a well in the center of the flour mixture and slowly start adding the water, pulling in a little more flour as you pour until the dough begins to come together but a little flour remains. I often have a little water mixture left over.
- Form into two discs and wrap tightly in saran wrap and place in the fridge to rest.
For the Filling
- Meanwhile, prepare the chocolate chip cookies.
- Place the softened butter, sugar and brown sugar in a standing mixer and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes to cream the mixture.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix an additional minute.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking soda.
- Whisk to combine and add to the wet ingredients.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Roll one dough disc out (place the other in a ziploc bag in the freezer for up to 2 months) and shape into the pie dish.
- Lay a piece of parchment in the pie and press around the bottom to make an impression.
- Cover the pie with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
- Lay the parchment on the counter and spread the hazelnut spread in the circle you just made and then freeze for 10 minutes.
- Now spread the dulce de leche and freeze again.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Carefully peel the chocolate off the parchment and lay the disc in the pie crust.
- Add the cookie dough and gently press in about halfway up, reserving any remaining dough (if there is any) for cookies.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the center is almost set.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Allow to cool for 30-60 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream and toppings.