I have no idea why this is, but Christmas always makes me crave Japanese and Chinese. Yup, not an Asian ancestor in me, but the holidays, a time we reflect on family and make family favorite recipes always makes me want Chinese food like our crispy honey chicken. I have never had cashew chicken at home, and I’m sure there are gobs and gobs of recipes out there, but this one is our personal favorite, especially because this is quick and easy cashew chicken. For real.
I adore cooking, but there’s nothing I love more than a delicious dinner that took no time at all to clean up and then busting out our pajamas and relaxing. It’s my favorite time of day. I loooooooove sending everyone upstairs to hop into pajamas.
Especially during the winter because it means I can really get cozy and warm. I have the worst circulation and unless one of you know of some secret way to fix that I depend on layers all winter long. In fact, even during the summer you’ll always catch me in slippers or socks because my feet are freezing. I can’t be the only one, don’t any of you love getting into your pajamas and snuggling up?
Are Cashews Tree Nuts?
Cashews, almonds, pecans and walnuts, are all tree nuts.
Most tree nuts do not cause allergies, although some people have allergies to peanuts and tree nuts.
Are Cashews Fattening?
Healthy Fats in Cashews are Not Fattening.
Most of the fat contained within cashew nuts is the heart disease fighting, cholesterol lowering, healthy type of fat.
Of course, overeating anything can cause you to gain weight.
Is Chicken Breast Lean Protein?
The leanest poultry is white meat from the breast with no skin.
A 3-ounce serving of cooked chicken breast has about 140 calories, 3 grams of fat, and 25 grams of protein.
Quick and Easy Cashew Chicken
- 2 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, chopped into 1" cubes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup cashews, dry roasted
- canola oil
- Place the flour, salt and pepper in a bowl and toss with the chicken.
- Shake off any excess flour.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat, add a drizzle of canola oil.
- Add the chicken and brown on each side for about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the ketchup, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, brown sugar and ginger.
- Pour over the chicken in the pan and turn the heat to medium low.
- Allow to simmer for another 2-3 minutes or until thick and the chicken is cooked through.
- Toss the cashews in and serve over rice.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 238 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 37.1mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 13.2g Fiber: 0.9g Sugar: 4g Protein: 16.5g