I once had a roommate who made avocado tacos. At first appearance it seemed almost too easy to me, but then she let me try on. And try it I did, over and over, and over again. They were delicious, light, easy and surprisingly flavorful. And then I got married, moved out and totally forgot about them for a few years.
And then enters my darling friend, Lisa. Lisa is a vegetarian and although I’m all about the meat I find myself frustrated for her when people or restaurants don’t have options for vegetarians. Obviously sometimes it’s just that people aren’t familiar enough with vegetarian eating that they forget that if they host a BBQ they should probably have something besides a green salad for my sweet friend to eat, although she would never complain. And restaurants, well I actually think there is no excuse for not having at least a couple of vegetarian options unless it’s something like a hot dog place etc. Someplace that obviously specializes in just meat.
Anyway, I’m constantly trying my hand at vegetarian recipes ever since meeting Lisa, kind of like this Roasted Red Pepper Pasta, and then one day I remembered the avocado tacos. I’m not saying that these are the most over the top, crazy delicious dinner recipe you could make, but they really are super delicious, and perfect for vegetarian and meat eaters at get together parties or BBQ’s. In fact, we eat them all the time, and if it’s lunch and we don’t want to heat up the grill we just cook the tortillas and skip grilling the avocados. It’s still delicious, I promise. And because Lisa started this new search in us, we’ve actually found that we prefer to not eat meat every single night. Our bodies seem to respond better to meat sparingly. Go figure. But I will say, meat and protein in the form of meat is still essential for us. And Lisa doesn’t mind. 😉
How Do You Keep A Cut Avocado From Turning Black?
You can tightly cover an avocado with plastic to slow down the darkening process.
You can also sprinkle a little lemon or lime juice on the cut avocado and then cover.
Are Avocados Fruit or Vegetable?
The avocado is technically a fruit.,
Avocados are high in antioxidants.
These nutrients are very important for eye health and lower your risk of macular degeneration and cataracts.
What is Queso Fresco Cheese?
Queso Fresco cheese is a creamy, soft, and mild unaged white cheese.
It is often used in Latin American countries including Mexico.
Queso Fresco cheese is similar to Feta cheese.
Grilled Avocado Tacos
- 5 Corn Tortillas
- 1 Ripe, but firm Avocado
- Salt, pepper
- Olive oil
- Queso Fresco cheese, crumbled (found in the cheese section or by the Mexican products by meat)
- 1 Lime, cut in wedges
- Heat a grill to medium high heat.
- Cut open the avocado and remove the pit. Do not remove from the peel yet.
- Brush each open face with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place inside down on the grill and cook for 2-5 minutes or until grill marks have appeared.
- Remove from the grill and allow to cool while you proceed.
- Place each tortilla on the grill and grill each side for a few seconds, flip, and cook again, until grill marks begin to form and the tortilla puffs slightly.
- Remove from the grill and set on a plate.
- Slice the avocado in 1/8 inch slices lengthwise, remove from the peel, and layer a few slices in each tortilla with a little cheese and a squirt or two of lime juice.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 120 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 15.6g Fiber: 4.6g Sugar: 0.7g Protein: 2.3g