What Ingredients Do I Need for Sweet Potato Enchiladas?
The ingredients list for this recipe is short and sweet, but the flavors are packed in there!
- Sweet Potato
- Black Beans (canned)
- Queso Fresco
- Chili Powder
- Red Enchilada Sauce
- Corn Tortillas
What Ingredients Do I Need for Sweet Corn Cream?
The sweet corn cream is about as simple as it gets. Just 3 ingredients needed:
- Creamed Corn
- Sour Cream
How to Make Sweet Potato Enchiladas
Now you have all the ingredients ready to go, so let’s walk through how to make these enchiladas! All the details can be found down in the recipe card, but here are the basic steps:
- Preheat oven.
- Combine the ingredients for the filling in a large bowl and stir until well combined.
- Pour half of the enchilada sauce into the baking dish.
- Cover the tortillas in a damp paper towel and warm them in the microwave.
- Place a scoop of the sweet potato mixture in the middle of a tortillas and roll it up.
- Place it into the baking dish and repeat until the sweet potato mixture is gone.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce on top of the rolled enchiladas.
- Sprinkle with the remaining queso fresco.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbly.
Sweet Corn Crema
While the enchiladas are baking, make the sweet corn crema:
- Puree the creamed corn and sour cream in a food processor until smooth.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro.
- Drizzle over the enchiladas right before serving with a few slices of avocado.
Can Flour Tortillas Be Used Instead of Corn Tortillas?
We really love the flavor of corn tortillas with the red enchilada sauce and sweet potato filling. I know people have strong feelings about corn tortillas, so you can definitely use flour tortillas if you want. You may offend enchilada purists who insist enchiladas can only be made with corn tortillas. Fair warning! Haha!
If you’re anti-corn tortilla because they crack and break, we have found if you warm them up in the microwave covered with a damp paper towel, they roll and hold up just fine. They bake in the enchilada sauce which also helps them stay moist.
What Is The Difference Between Orange and White Sweet Potatoes?
When a white sweet potato is cooked, it is quite a bit drier than an orange sweet potato. Orange sweet potatoes have a stronger flavor and more beta-carotene. The human body turns beta-carotene into vitamin A…hello, healthy! We prefer orange sweet potatoes in these enchiladas because of the strong flavor!
What Is The Difference Between a Sweet Potato and Yam?
What most people call a “yam” is really an type of sweet potato. Canned yams are also sweet potatoes. We like to use orange sweet potatoes for these enchiladas but if you can only find yams, they will work just great!
Are Enchiladas the Same as Burritos?
No, enchiladas and burritos are not the same. Enchiladas are made with corn tortillas wrapped around a filling, covered in sauce, and baked. Burritos are made with flour tortillas and wrapped around a filling and usually eaten plain or dipped in a sauce.
What is Queso Fresco?
Queso fresco is a soft, crumbly cheese that is very mild and really delicious for Mexican food. You can find it in all grocery stores by the cheeses. If you can’t find queso fresco, you can use feta if you want to keep the same texture or a Mexican cheese blend.
Are Sweet Potato Enchiladas Healthy?
Often times we correlate vegetarian meals with being healthy. That isn’t always the case, but in this case, these are very healthy! Corn tortillas are lower in fat and calories. Sweet potatoes are great for fiber and beta-carotene. Black beans are great for protein. As long as you don’t pour the whole recipe of sweet corn crema on your enchilada, you are all set!
More MEXICAN MAIN DISHES You Have to Try:
- Pork Carnitas
- Refried Beans
- 3 Ingredient Spanish Rice
- Verde Enchiladas
- Steak Fajitas (or Chicken Fajitas)
- Smothered Bean and Cheese Enchiladas
- Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
- Mexican Street Corn – Elote
- Chorizo Potatoes
- All our MEXICAN RECIPES here!
Sweet Potato Enchiladas with Sweet Corn Crema
Recipe adapted from Sugar Plum
- 1 Can Sweet Potatoes, Large, drained reallllly well and mashed (or two cups baked, mashed sweet potatoes)
- 1 cup Black Beans, canned, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups Queso Fresco Cheese, crumbled, divided
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Red Enchilada Sauce
- 10 Corn Tortillas
Sweet Corn Crema
- 1/2 cup Creamed Corn, canned
- 1/3 cup Sour Cream, reduced fat
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Avocado Slices, for garnish
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, stir together sweet potatoes, black beans, 1 cup of queso fresco cheese, chili powder, cinnamon, and salt until well combined.
- Set Aside.
- Pour half of the enchilada sauce into a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave, covered in damp paper towels, about 1 minute.
- Place about 1/4 cup sweet potato mixture in the middle of a tortilla, roll up, and place in baking dish; repeat process with remaining sweet potato mixture and tortillas.
- Drizzle remaining enchilada sauce on top of tortillas, and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
Sweet Corn Crema
- In a food processor, puree creamed corn and sour cream until well combined and smooth
- Stir in cilantro until combined.
- Set Aside.
- Serve enchiladas with a drizzle of sweet corn crema, and top with avocado slices.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.