This is the creamiest, cheesiest Crockpot Broccoli Cheese Soup you’ll ever make! Best of all, you can change any of the cheeses to your own liking!
Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
Is there anything better than a dark, chilly, rainy day and a big ol’ pot of soup? Especially broccoli cheese soup because it’s like the perfect comfort food. I had originally planned to make, and in fact I had already started, this One Pot Lasagna Pasta which is gosh darn delicious, but then out of no where the sun completely disappeared and the sky turned black.
It was coming and although my one pot dish is also great for comfort food there was also no way that I was going to attempt to photograph a recipe with zero light. Yes, this is the life of a food blogger.
So I busted out the broccoli that needed to be used and started on a soup. This was the first time I’d ever had broccoli cheese soup (gasp!), and we fell in love with it.
After a little experimenting, we ended up with a combo we think you’ll just love and it’s best to just throw it all in the Crockpot or even a lunch lady pot and just let the whole thing simmer and then at the end add the broccoli and cheese.
What’s Needed for Crockpot Broccoli Cheese Soup?
To make this Crockpot broccoli and cheese soup, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Yellow onion
- All-purpose flour
- Cream cheese
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Whole milk
- Spices (nutmeg, ground mustard, dried thyme)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Grated Parmesan cheese
How to Make Broccoli Cheese Soup in a Crockpot
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Then, add the onion, garlic and carrots. Stir to combine and cook until softened.
- Whisk in the flour, then stir in the cream cheese.
- Transfer that mixture, plus the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the cheeses to the slow cooker.
Cook on low 5-6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Stir in the cheeses, then serve!
How Long Will Homemade Broccoli Cheese Soup Last?
Crockpot broccoli cheese soup should be kept refrigerated in a covered glass or plastic container. Broccoli cheese soup will keep for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Can You Freeze Broccoli Cheese Soup?
To freeze slow cooker broccoli cheddar soup , chill the soup WITHOUT adding the cheese and put into airtight containers (allowing a little space for expansion as the soup freezes). You can also use freezer bags or a Food Saver.
Freeze for up to 2 months. When reheating, stir in the cheeses.
What Can You Substitute For Heavy Cream?
You can use whole milk or half and half instead of using heavy cream.
Can You Omit the Cream Cheese?
The cream cheese is solely used to thicken the soup and make it even creamier but you can leave it out if you’d like.
Is a Crockpot the Same as a Slow Cooker?
Yes, these are the same, although they might have different buttons to operate the slow cooker versus a crock pot.
Tips for Making Crockpot Broccoli and Cheese Soup
You can use any cheese you’d like in this slow cooker broccoli cheddar soup, but we’ve found that sharp cheddar and parmesan offer the most flavor. That being said, we often use Tillamook Cheddar Jack shreds since we always have those on hand. We never skip the parmesan as it adds a little more flavor.
We personally like to puree half of our Crockpot broccoli cheddar soup right before serving, but if you like the chunks (we do like a few) go for it! Whatever makes you happy. And next time we are totally serving in bread bowls. Boom.
Lastly, this recipe can be made in an Instant Pot, if desired. However, creams tend to separate in the Instant Pot (just FYI in case you open the lid and it doesn’t look the way you expect). You’ll want to cook it for about 10 minutes on high.
More Crockpot Dinner Recipes:
- Crockpot Cheesy Meatball Soup
- Chicken, Potato, Broccoli & Corn Chowder
- Crockpot Potato Broccoli Corn Chowder with Bacon
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Asian Sticky Slow Cooker Ribs
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Crockpot Whole Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken and Rice
- All of our Crockpot recipes!
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, , minced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, , minced
- 1/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Carrot, , peeled and grated
- 4 Ounces Cream Cheese, , softened
- 24 Ounces Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoons Ground Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoons Dried Thyme,
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 4 Cups Broccoli, , chopped
- 2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese, , grated
- 1/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese, , grated
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat then add the onion, garlic and carrots. Stir to combine and stir occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour for 30 seconds.
- Add the cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Transfer the cream chese mixture and the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the cheese into the slow cooker .
- Cook on low 5-6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Scoop half into a blender and pulse a couple of times then add back to the slow cooker.
- Stir in the cheeses and serve!
- This soup can be stored in the refrigerator for about 3 days.