You may know it by another name, but this cake recipe is literally BETTER THAN ANYTHING! Rich chocolate cake oozing with caramel and topped with Cool Whip and chocolate covered toffee bits.
When I was an almost teenager a new family, the Edmunds, moved to town. I’ll never forget game night with them, and it wasn’t just because we laughed so hard together, or the daughter my age and I instantly became friends, it was because of the Better than Anything Cake that Julene brought over to us.
We spent the next 6-8 years getting to know that family and it all started with the quarter flour game and cake.
First, the cake.
Julene said it was to-die-for and she wasn’t kidding! It’s a rich chocolate cake baked to fluffy perfection and then holes are poked all over it while still hot. Have you tried poke cakes? They are so fun! Our lemon jello cake, caramel spice poke cake, and strawberry jello cake are few of my favorite.
Next up you pour a combination of caramel sauce and sweetened condensed milk and then let it cool completely.
Top it all off with whipped cream and the real winner of the show, milk chocolate toffee bits or Skors bars or Heath Bars! It is chocolatey, creamy, moist, fluffy, and crunchy all at once!
Game for Families with Multiple Ages!
Ok here’s the deal, the flour game is the perfect game when you have a wide span of ages in a family.
- Place a quarter in the bottom of a bowl.
- Fill the bowl with flour.
- Place a plate over the bowl and holding them tightly together flip it over. Remove the bowl.
- Give each person a spoon to carefully remove a little flour from the mound (think jenga).
- The person that knocks the quarter has to dig it out… with their teeth!!
It is such a fun game and the perfect thing to play after eating all that cake!
Ingredients for Better Than Anything Cake Recipe
One of my favorite things about this cake is that the ingredients are so easy to keep on hand in the pantry. Then when you unexpectedly have guests for dinner or get asked to bring a dessert to a pot luck, it’s easy to whip up quickly. And everyone always loves it! Here is what you will need:
- Triple Chocolate Cake Mix (or Fudge Cake Mix)
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Caramel Sauce
- Cool Whip
- Heath Candy Bar Bits
The measurements for each can be found in the recipe card at the end of the post.
How to Make Better Than Anything Cake Recipe
A dessert that is better than anything shouldn’t be this easy! Here are the basic steps:
- Bake cake per package instructions using the measurements of the ingredients we list in the recipe card.
- Whisk the sweetened condensed milk and caramel together.
- When the cake is finished baking but still warm, poke it all over with the handle of a wooden spoon. Pour the sauce all over the cake.
- Refrigerate the cake for two hours and top with Cool Whip (or whipped cream) and the toffee bits.
Do I Have to Use Cool Whip?
No, you do not have to use Cool Whip. You can make your own whipped cream. We love it both ways honestly. The Cool Whip just makes it even easier to whip up.
Can I Substitute the Heath Candy Bar?
If you aren’t a fan of Heath Bar, then we cannot be friends! Ok, ok…that might be extreme, but seriously, they are heaven! Feel free to swap out the Heath with Oreos, Butterfinger, Reese’s Cups, or whatever your favorite topping is.
Skors Bars are also similar to Heath Bars and can be used as a substitute if you can’t find Heath.
Can this Cake Be Made Ahead of Time?
This cake recipe is great to make ahead of time. Bake the cake as the instructions state, poke the cake, and pour the caramel mixture over the top. Then cover and store the cake in the refrigerator. Add the Cool Whip and toffee bits right before you serve it.
You can also freeze this cake after baking and adding the caramel sauce. It will keep for 1-2 months. When you’re ready to eat it, let it set at room temperature for about an hour to let it thaw. Then add the Cool Whip and toffee bits.
How Long Does This Cake Recipe Keep?
This cake will keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Be sure to keep it covered.
If you are ready to indulge in the easiest, most rich, chocolatey piece of heaven, then this Better Than Anything Cake recipe is for you! And while you’re at it, grab a bag of flour, a quarter, and large bowl too! It’s going to be a fun night!
More CAKE RECIPES You Have to Try:
- Apple Cake with Caramel Frosting
- Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Cinnabon Cinnamon Roll Sheet Cake
- Carrot Cake
- Banana Cake
- Strawberries and Cream Jello Cake
- Banana Pudding Cake
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Sheet Cake
- Lemon Jello Cake
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- All our Cake Recipes here!
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Better Than Anything Cake
- 1 Box Triple Chocolate or Fudge Cake Mix
- 1 Cup Water
- 3 Eggs large
- 1/2 Cup Oil
- 3/4 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 8 Oz Caramel Sauce
- 8 Oz Cool Whip
- 1 Cup Heath Candy Bar Bits or more
- Bake cake per package instructions using the measurements we list.
- Meanwhile, whisk the sweetened condensed milk and caramel.
- Pull the cake out and poke all over the cake with a wooden spoon handle. Pour the sauce all over and cool.
- Refrigerate for two hours then top with whipped cream and candy bits
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.