This Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake is super moist & extra chocolate-y. Then topped with creamy chocolate frosting – it’s the perfect double dose of chocolate.
This double chocolate zucchini cake is a quick and easy recipe that uses zucchini and it’s dessert using veggies so you can eat extra, right?
Is Zucchini Good for You?
Health Benefits of Zucchini. You’ll surely be impressed with the nutritional bounty that zucchini offers. It’s low-calorie (with only 17 calories per 100 grams) and high in fiber, and has no cholesterol or unhealthy fats. … In fact, a zucchini has more potassium than a banana.
Can You Freeze Zucchini Cake?
Yes, to freeze: wrap zucchini cake tightly with aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap, or place in heavy-duty freezer bag. …Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake will keep 2-3 months in the freezer.
Have you ever tried chocolate zucchini cake? You don’t taste the zucchini at all, and instead you end up with the most delicious chocolate cake that’s moist with a soft, dense cake crumb.
Growing up one of my favorite recipes was my Mom’s simple chocolate cake. It was moist, not too rich, topped with chocolate buttercream, and perfect for children. She’d decorate it with candies for our birthdays, and I was always thrilled when she made it.
So when she told me one afternoon that she was making chocolate zucchini cake – I wasn’t impressed. The idea of vegetables in cake seemed wrong, and I felt she was ruining my favorite recipe.
But after tasting the chocolate zucchini cake, I had to swallow my words (along with some cake). Because chocolate zucchini cake is delicious. So moist & full of chocolate goodness. I was converted.
Does Zucchini Cake Have to be Refrigerated?
Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake does not have to be refrigerated, but it will keep for up to a week in the refrigerator.
How to Make Chocolate Zucchini Cake
For today’s chocolate zucchini cake we start by beating together the oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, sour cream, and shredded zucchini. Then we’ll whisk together the dry ingredients, then beat them into the mixture. Easy as that.
For the shredded zucchini, if you find there’s excess liquid you can gently soak it up with a paper towel. Just make sure it isn’t dry when adding to the cake.
Then after everything’s mixed together, then the batter is poured into a 9×13 inch pan and it’s ready to bake.
For the Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
The chocolate zucchini cake itself is so flavorful. But for an extra dose of chocolate, we’re topping it with chocolate buttercream frosting. It’s a simple frosting recipe made with cocoa powder – however I like to add a little cream cheese to cut the sweetness. If you don’t have cream cheese on hand, you can easily substitute it with more butter too.
This chocolate zucchini cake is the perfect recipe if you like a chocolate cake that’s moist, fudgy, and easy to make. I hope you love the recipe as much as I do!
More CAKE RECIPES You Have to Try:
- Apple Cake with Caramel Frosting
- Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Cinnabon Cinnamon Roll Sheet Cake
- Carrot Cake
- Banana Cake
- Strawberries and Cream Jello Cake
- Banana Pudding Bundt Cake
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Sheet Cake
- Gingerbread Cake
- Lemon Jello Cake
- All our Cake Recipes here!
Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake
For the Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil or canola
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
For the Chocolate Frosting
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 4-6 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- For the Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees, then butter and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Then in a separate large bowl using an electric mixer beat together the oil, sugars, eggs and vanilla.
- Turn the mixer down to low speed, then carefully beat in the sour cream followed by the flour mixture.
- Then stir in the shredded zucchini.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- For the Chocolate Frosting
- Beat the butter in a large bowl until very soft.
- Then beat in 2 cups of the powdered sugars, followed by the cocoa powder.
- Then beat in the rest of the powdered sugar about 1/2 cup at a time alternating with 1 tablespoon of the heavy cream.
- Frost the cooled cake with a flat edge knife.
If you love chocolate cake, make sure to try these Double Chocolate Cupcakes.
The secret to the very best zucchini bread that is moist and has perfect texture is to add a little banana. Chocolate chip banana zucchini bread for the win!