This Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread recipe is super moist thanks to the oil, sour cream, and finely shredded zucchini in the batter. Irresistible!
Easy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Recipe
Our youngest daughter has been making her own little cooking videos lately. This chocolate chip zucchini bread is her latest production. We love that our children want to cook, and I’m trying to be good about letting her roll with things instead of being too busy to cook with her.
They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and it makes me giddy inside that our 8-year-old is trying to be like her momma! What really makes me the most giddy is that all my kids devour this deliciously moist quick bread that is full of shhhhh…don’t tell them…a vegetable!
Wouldn’t it be amazing if all vegetables could be incorporated into scrumptious desserts?! Don’t get me wrong, I love me some veggies, but I love desserts even more! This zucchini bread is sweet, moist, and best served warm with a little butter.
When I was a kid, I remember thinking that zucchini bread was just about the most disgusting thing on earth. Excuse me?! Chunks of green zucchini in a dessert? I. DON’T. THINK. SO. I wouldn’t come within 10 yards of the stuff!
Once I gave it a try (after several years of my mom trying to get me to try it), I realized that it was actually delicious. I pray every day that my children won’t be as picky as I was about food growing up, and if this chocolate chip zucchini bread is any measure, we are on the right track! They gobble it up!
When our daughter decided to make this zucchini bread recipe, she insisted on adding chocolate chips. Kids love chocolate chips…heck, I love chocolate chips! They just make everything better!
We decided to go with the mini chocolate chips so that those little morsels could fill every single bite of this quick bread, but you could use regular chocolate chips or even chocolate chunks….yummmm! That might be the only time the word “chunk” sounds like a positive thing — oh, unless you’re talking about a little squishy baby! Then the more chunk the better!
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Ingredients
This homemade zucchini bread comes together with a handful of pantry staples:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda and baking powder
- Canola oil
- Granulated sugar
- Sour cream
- Shredded zucchini
- Mini chocolate chips
How to Make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Mix together the wet ingredients in one bowl and the dry in another.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Turn the batter into two 9×5-inch loaf pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
How to Store Zucchini Bread
Chocolate chip zucchini bread is fine left on the counter at room temperature, but it will only last about 1-2 days. If you want it to last a little longer, wrap it in foil or in plastic wrap, and stick it in the refrigerator. It will last there for up to a week.
Can You Freeze Zucchini Bread?
Zucchini bread also freezes well. Wrap it in foil or plastic wrap and place it in a ziplock bag. It will last there for 2-3 months. Just pull it out and let it come to room temperature to eat it.
Can Zucchini Bread Be Made into Muffins?
Absolutely! This chocolate chip zucchini bread recipe makes two loaves of bread, so why not make one loaf of bread AND a dozen muffins?! Or you could just go ahead and make two dozen muffins!
Or, you could simply follow our Zucchini Muffins recipe so you don’t have to guess about bake times or anything like that.
What If I Make Muffins and Bread?
If you bake the bread and muffins together, bake at 350 degrees F. Pull the muffins out after 30 minutes of baking and leave the bread in to bake another 15-30 minutes. If you just do muffins, bake for about 20 to 25 minutes in a 400°F oven or for about 23 to 28 minutes at 375°F.
Tips for Making Homemade Zucchini Bread
I have a few tips for you to make the best zucchini bread ever. Follow each one and you will love every last crumb of this bread.
Shred the zucchini very finely — If you don’t have a super fine side on your grater, buy this CHEESE GRATER . Having finely shredded zucchini makes it so tender that it really becomes one with the bread and it makes the zucchini almost imperceptible to those picky anti-zucchini people.
Use a wooden spoon — When the directions say to use a wooden spoon (or spatula), it seriously means to use a wooden spoon (or spatula). And don’t use an electric mixer or stand mixer. Over-mixing this bread will make it fall flat and be dense.
Get those spices in there —The cinnamon and nutmeg are quintessentially fall and all the flavor this bread needs to be perfect.
Sour cream, sour cream, sour cream — The sour cream in this bread is critical to the moisture and texture of the bread. Use whatever sour cream you have in the fridge, but the more fat the better the bread.
Spray all but the top inch of the loaf pan — Spray your pan before pouring in the batter and wipe off the top inch of the spray all the way around the pan. As the bread rises in the oven, it will catch on the ungreased part of the pan and push the bread up in the middle creating a beautiful domed loaf.
Save some of the mini chocolate chips — This way, you can sprinkle extra on the top of the bread right after the homemade zucchini bread is done baking. Not only does it make the bread irresistibly gorgeous, but who doesn’t like to nibble on some warm melty chocolate chips?
More Quick Bread Recipes:
Looking for more quick bread recipes? We love when you can find a yummy and quick bread recipe, so make sure you try these out!
- Classic Zucchini Bread
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
- Snickerdoodle Zucchini Bread
- Ultimate Moist Banana Bread
- Glazed Poppy Seed Bread
- Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- Orange Cranberry Glazed Poppy Seed Bread
- Sour Cream Banana Bread
- All of our favorite bread recipes!
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips , divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray two 9×5-inch loaf pans with nonstick spray. Wipe down the top 1" edge all the way around the pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar. Add in the eggs, sour cream and whisk.
- Dump the zucchini shreds into the egg mixture and switch to a wooden spoon, stirring again, but be sure to not over mix.
- Dump the dry ingredients in the wet ingredients along with mini chocolate chips, reserving 1/4 cup for the top, and using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon gently fold the ingredients together just until a few streaks of flour remain.
- Pour into the two bread pans.
- Bake for 50 minutes. At this point, barely open the oven and slide a piece of tinfoil over the bread, close the door and bake for the remaining 10 minutes
- Once the bread is done, open the oven door, turn off the oven and let the bread rest for 2-3 minutes, no longer, before carefully setting it on the counter for a few more minutes.
- At this point, slide a knife around the inside of the pan and carefully turn the bread out into your other hand or onto the cooling rack directly if you are gentle. Place it right side up and sprinkle with chips, allow to cool or be like us and dig in because warm bread is the best!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.