Sweet, tangy, refreshing Lemon Zucchini Bread is the perfect summer treat. The optional lemon glaze adds another burst of amazing lemon flavor.
A perfect zucchini bread recipe is so versatile and a great way to add extra vegetables to your day. You can serve it for brunch like you would a coffee cake. It’s also sweet enough to be a dessert, just add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Or just have it as a midday snack!
While I do love a slice of chocolate chip zucchini bread, still warm with gooey melty chocolate chips, I think Lemon Zucchini Bread is a Summer’s favorite. You just can’t resist that refreshing flavor.
How to make Lemon Zucchini Bread
Zucchini bread is a type of quick bread, much like banana bread. The reason it is called “quick bread” is because it is leavened with baking soda and baking powder instead of yeast, so it is much quicker to make.
Making the lemon zucchini bread batter
- First, mix together lemon zest and sugar to release the lemon essential oil. Then beat the wet ingredients into the sugar mixture.
- Add the shredded zucchini and stir to distribute.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Stir in the salt. Fold the dry ingredient mixture into the wet ingredient mixture.
- Transfer the batter to a buttered loaf pan and bake for about 60 minutes at 350°F.
- Allow the lemon zucchini bread to cool inside the pan for 10 – 15 minutes before removing it to a wire rack to cool completely.
You can forgo the optional lemon glaze, but I think it adds another burst of lemony goodness to this lemon zucchini bread. You could also try a homemade lemon curd as the topping instead of a sugar glaze.
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Drizzle over completely cool zucchini bread.
How to shred zucchini?
Using the food processor to shred the zucchini is the quickest way, but you could also shred it by hand with a box grater or simply mince with your knife if that is your tool of choice.
What can I substitute sour cream with?
Sour cream can be substituted with plain yogurt or buttermilk.
Can this recipe be baked in a muffin pan?
Yes, this recipe will yield 12 regular size muffins. You’ll need to adjust the baking time to approximately 17 – 19 minutes at the same oven temperature.
More quick bread you’ll love
- Hummingbird Cake Banana Bread
- Snickerdoodle Zucchini Bread
- Glazed Poppy Seed Bread
- Brown Butter Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- Garlic Cheddar Herb Irish Soda Bread
- Orange Cranberry Bread
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Lemon Zucchini Bread
Lemon Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini about 1 medium zucchini
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Melted butter for pan
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon of fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Brush a loaf pan with some melted butter and line the bottom with a piece of parchment paper, letting the excess hang over the sides. Brush the parchment paper with more butter. Set aside.
- Wash and trim the zucchini. Shred using a box grater or chop into smaller pieces and shred in a food processor. Set aside.
- Add sugar and lemon zest to a large mixing bowl and whisk together releasing the lemon essential oil.
- Add sour cream, eggs, oil and vanilla extract to the sugar mixture and beat until smooth. Add the shredded zucchini and stir to distribute evenly.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and baking powder into a small mixing bowl. Stir in the kosher salt. Add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture and mix until just combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake for about 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean with just a few crumbs attached.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it from the pan and let it cool further on a wire rack.
- To make the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over completely cooled zucchini bread and serve.