I know you all want the most moist and delicious banana bread recipe, so buckle up for The Best Sour Cream Banana Bread Recipe ever!
Moist Banana Bread with Sour Cream
I know, you all are started to worry a little bit about Cade and I and this whole banana bread thing, aren’t you? Look, banana bread is so delicious and we just had to make sure that we found a classic recipe for the very best banana bread before we started tackling cool things like how to make banana bread with sour cream. And trust me, this is the best sour cream banana bread you’ll ever have.
It’s just that good. And truth be told, it might even trump our chocolate chip banana bread recipe. Speaking of chocolate chip banana bread…
I found out some pretty devastating news a few weeks ago as I started testing this banana bread recipe with sour cream. Which by the way, did not take years to figure out. In fact, it was pretty easy to just adjust our classic banana bread recipe into a banana bread recipe with sour cream because the original was just so darn good.
But I’m distracted.
We did a poll on our ohsweetbasil Instagram, fully expecting it to be in our favor, pro chocolate chip banana bread and we were totally shocked to find out that the majority of you prefer your banana bread WITHOUT chocolate chips.
Cade and I are still deciding if we can be friends with our readers after such a discovery. Chocolate chips should ALWAYS be in banana bread.
Actually, that’s not true. Cade and I loved this sour cream banana bread recipe so much we literally didn’t miss the chocolate chips. And you’re welcome for skipping them in this recipe for all of you.
Sour Cream Banana Bread Ingredients
This a simple sour cream banana bread recipe, and it requires only a handful of ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need to make banana bread with sour cream:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Canola oil
- Granulated sugar
- Sour cream
- Mashed banana
How to Make Banana Bread with Sour Cream
Those deliciously overripe bananas make banana bread moist, but the sour cream — without adding extra liquid — really takes things to the next level. Bananas make banana bread moist, as well as how you fold in the ingredients, but it’s sour cream that makes banana bread moist more than anything else.
Here’s how to make this moist banana bread recipe with sour cream:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, eggs, and sour cream.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, then fold in the mashed bananas.
- Turn the batter into a greased 9×5-inch loaf pan and bake for roughly 50 minutes.
What’s the Best Oil for Banana Bread?
If you don’t have canola oil, just substitute vegetable oil. If you don’t have either of those, you can use shortening, butter, or coconut oil but the results will not be the same.
How to Store Banana Bread
You can store banana bread at room temperature for up to 5 days. You should keep it in an airtight container to seal in moisture.
Can You Freeze Banana Bread?
Yes! You can freeze the entire loaf of sour cream banana bread or freeze individual slices. Use a freezer bag or wrap in layers of plastic wrap and foil to prevent freezer burn.
Tips for Making Sour Cream Banana Bread
The secret to making a perfect banana bread with sour cream is to let the eggs and sour cream sit out while you prepare everything else. That will help the ingredients come to room temperature and they will combine perfectly.
Also, note that you’re welcome to add chopped nuts, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, etc. to this sour cream banana bread recipe.
The other secrets, well make sure you read our post on The Best Ever Banana Bread as you’ll want to follow everything to a T!
More Homemade BANANA BREAD RECIPES:
- Easy Banana Bread Recipe
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Biscoff Banana Bread
- Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- S’mores Banana Bread
- Snickerdoodle Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
- Banana Crumb Bread
The Best Sour Cream Banana Bread Recipe
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Sour Cream Banana Bread
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 Cup Canola Oil
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 5 Tablespoons Sour Cream
- 1 1/3 Cups Mashed Banana (about 2 very large bananas or 3 small)
- 2/3 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips (optional)
- Set out the eggs and sour cream.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9×5-inch bread pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar. Add in the eggs and sour cream and whisk again, but be sure to not over mix.
- Dump the dry ingredients, banana and chocolate chips on the wet ingredients and switching to a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, gently fold the ingredients together just until a few streaks of flour remain.
- Pour into a bread pan and bake for 50 minutes. At this point, barely open the oven and slide a piece of tinfoil over the bread, close the door and bake for the remaining 10 minutes.
- Once the bread is done, open the oven door, turn off the oven and let the banana bread rest for 2-3 minutes, no longer, before carefully setting it on the counter for a few more minutes. At this point, slide a knife around the inside of the pan and carefully turn the bread out into your other hand or onto the cooling rack directly if you are gentle. Place it right side up and allow to cool, or be like us and dig in because warm bread is the best!