I know you all want the most moist and delicious banana bread recipe, so buckle up for The Best Sour Cream Banana Bread Recipe ever!
I know, you all are started to worry a little bit about Cade and I and this whole banana bread thing, aren’t you. Look, banana bread is so delicious and we just had to make sure that we found a classic recipe for the very best banana bread recipe before we started tackling cool things like how to make banana bread with sour cream. And trust me, this is the best sour cream banana bread you’ll ever had.
It’s just that good. And truth be told, it might even trump our chocolate chip banana bread recipe.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Speaking of chocolate chip banana bread…
I found out some pretty devastating news a few weeks ago as I started testing banana bread with sour cream. Which by the way, did not take years to figure out. In fact, it was pretty easy to just adjust our classic banana bread recipe into the best sour cream banana bread recipe because the original was just so darn good.
But I’m distracted.
We did a poll on our ohsweetbasil instagram channel, fully expecting it to be in our favor, pro chocolate chip banana bread and we were totally shocked to find out that the majority of you prefer your banana bread WITHOUT chocolate chips.
Cade and I are still deciding if we can be friends with our readers after such a discovery. Chocolate chips should ALWAYS be in banana bread.
The Best Sour Cream Banana Bread Recipe
Actually, that’s not true. Cade and I loved the best sour cream banana bread recipe so much we literally didn’t miss the chocolate chips. And you’re welcome for skipping them in this recipe for all of you.
The secret to making a perfect banana bread with sour cream is to let the eggs and sour cream sit out while you prepare everything else. That will help the ingredients come to room temperature and they will combine perfectly.
The other secrets, well make sure you read our post on The Very Best Banana Bread Recipe as you’ll want to follow everything to a T!
What Oil For Banana Bread
If you don’t have canola oil just substitute vegetable oil. If you don’t have either of those you can use, shortening, butter or coconut oil but the results will not be the same.
What Makes Banana Bread Moist?
Those deliciously over ripe bananas make banana bread moist, but the sour cream, without adding extra liquid really takes things to the next level. Bananas make banana bread moist, as well as how you fold in the ingredients but it’s sour cream that makes banana bread moist more than anything else.
What Other Kinds of Banana Bread Can You Make?
Well we are just so happy you asked. We have many to choose from.
All our BANANA BREAD RECIPES:
- Best Banana Bread
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Biscoff Banana Bread
- Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- S’mores Banana Bread
- Snickerdoodle Banana Bread
- Oreo Biscoff Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
- Banana Crumb Bread
The Best Sour Cream Banana Bread Recipe
the best sour cream banana bread recipe
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 Cup Canola Oil
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 5 Tablespoons Sour Cream
- 1 1/3 Cups Mashed Banana about 2 very large bananas or 3 small
- 2/3 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- Set out the eggs and sour cream.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9×5″ bread pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar. Add in the eggs and sour cream and whisk again, but be sure to not over mix.
- Dump the dry ingredients, banana and chocolate chips on the wet ingredients and switching to a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, gently fold the ingredients together just until a few streaks of flour remain.
- Pour into a bread pan and bake for 50 minutes. At this point, barely open the oven and slide a piece of tinfoil over the bread, close the door and bake for the remaining 10 minutes.
- Once the bread is done, open the oven door, turn off the oven and let the banana bread rest for 2-3 minutes, no longer, before carefully setting it on the counter for a few more minutes. At this point, slide a knife around the inside of the pan and carefully turn the bread out into your other hand or onto the cooling rack directly if you are gentle. Place it right side up and allow to cool or be like us and dig in because warm bread is the best!