One of our most popular recipes on the blog is our classic pesto (gotta love that a basil recipe is ranked so high for us, bahahaha) and how to store it. It’s easy, fresh and I really do think it is the absolute best recipe out there for pesto. We love it on pastas, in meatball paninis and even a quinoa bake with asparagus! So clearly it would be smart of us to play around with the flavors which is how we ended up with cilantro pesto.
And get ready because we are going to be sharing a few recipes that use the cilantro pesto over the next few months. Like a dip inspired by a friend that has 8 layers. Ohhhh mama!!
What is Pesto?
Pesto is a sauce made of crushed garlic, European pine nuts, coarse salt, basil leaves, Parmesan cheese and olive oil.
What is Pesto Used For?
Pesto can be baked into Bread and eaten instead of garlic bread.
It can be used as a spread for sandwiches.
Pesto is traditionally used in pasta.
How Long Will Pesto Keep?
Homemade pesto will last 5-7 days in the refrigerator or 3-4 months in the freezer.
Other Italian Sauce Recipes
Looking for more Italian Sauce recipes? Who doesn’t love Italian sauces!? Make sure you try these out the next time you are making that Italian dish:
- Italian Bolognese Sauce Recipe
- Spaghetti Sauce
- Pizza Sauce
- The BEST Pesto Sauce (classic recipe)
- Garden Veggie Marinara Sauce
- Easy Beef Ragu
Here are a few more yummy saucy pasta dishes that our family loves:
- 3 Cups Cilantro
- 1/4 Cup Pine Nuts
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1/4 Cup Pecorino Romano Cheese grated
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the pine nuts and toast until golden.
- Remove from heat to cool.
- In a blender or food processor, add the cilantro, pine nuts, olive oil, zest, juice and garlic.
- Pulse until a thick paste forms.
- Stir in the cheese and season to taste.
- Store in an airtight container with a little olive oil over the top and saran wrap pressed down against the pesto.
- Serve over veggies, pasta, or on sandwiches.