I am not really into chain restaurants other than like Cafe Rio, or the rolls at Texas Roadhouse. I just feel like as soon as the restaurant branches out it turns into reheated entrees and wilty lettuce. I’m definitely more into making the favorites from home which is why I bring you this copycat Applebee’s oriental chicken salad.
My parents totally used to take us to Applebee’s. Well, not very often, maybe a total of 3-4 times, but I’m quite certain the only reason we went was because mom liked the oriental chicken salad and those blonde brownies. I need to make a copycat for those too.
We already have a few copycat recipes on the site so I’ll go ahead and leave photos and links at the bottom of the post in case you want to try a few other favorites. This is another good one you’ll want to pin on pinterest so you don’t lose it!
What Is Napa Cabbage?
Napa cabbage is also called Chinese cabbage.
It has an oblong shape and has thick, crisp stems and frilly yellow-green leaves.
Napa cabbage is sweeter and softer than green cabbage.
Are Almonds Good For You?
Almonds are a good source of healthy fats, fiber, protein, magnesium and vitamin E.
Is Chicken Healthy?
Chicken is healthier than eating red meat.
Red meats (beef, pork and lamb) have more saturated (bad) fat than chicken.
Saturated and trans fats can raise your blood cholesterol and make heart disease worse.
Copycat Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad
Copycat Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad
For the Chicken
- 4 Frozen Chicken Strips baked or [THIS] recipe for crunchy chicken fingers
For the Dressing
- 1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons good quality Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/8 Teaspoon Sesame Oil
- Pinch of Ground Ginger
- Salt to taste
For the Salad
- 1/4 Cup Chow Mein Noodles
- 1 Cup Red Cabbage chopped
- 1 Cup Napa Cabbage chopped
- 2 Cups Romaine chopped
- 1 Cup Iceburg Lettuce chopped
- 1/2 Cup Matchstick Carrots I buy them prepackaged
- 2 Tablespoons Sliced Almonds
For the chicken
- Cook the chicken according to directions.
- Set aside.
For the dressing
- In a blender, add all ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Store in a mason jar in the fridge until serving.
- In a large bowl, toss the lettuces with the carrots and cabbage.
- Top with almonds and chow mein noodles, then the chicken and drizzle with dressing.
- Serve immediately.