Both the tortillas and the black beans are pan-fried in a little oil to make them super crispy. Then, these Vegetarian Tacos are stuffed with toppings!
Easiest Vegetarian Taco Recipe
These crispy black bean vegetarian tacos are definitely worth a try. Yes, I said black. bean. tacos. Not chicken tacos, not fish tacos, not even ground beef or ground turkey tacos. Black. bean. tacos. I know what you’re thinking, because I was thinking it too. We aren’t big fans of coleslaw at our house and the no meat thing was really kind of putting me on edge, but these crispy black bean tacos were surprisingly simple and absolutely delicious!
I know, you’re still asking “what about the meat??!!” Because really, what’s a taco without meat in it? Well, after making these vegetarian tacos I have to admit that, once again, I was wrong. Let me tell you, these were the absolute perfect solution for our hungry tummies. They are so easy to make and perfect for a 5-minute dinner.
Yes, that’s all it takes! Read it again if you need to but these little babies really do take only five minutes to prepare. What’s not to love about that?! This vegetarian taco recipe is so simple but really packs a lot of flavor. (You definitely won’t feel like you’re eating cardboard in a tortilla like some other bean recipes I’ve seen).
You could even add some of your additional favorite taco toppings to make them even more delicious. These little babies are perfect for busy nights when you just don’t have time to cook, or hot summer evenings when the last thing you want to do is spend hours preparing a meal and heating up your kitchen. Plus, you might have everything in your pantry and fridge already!
What’s Needed for Vegetarian Tacos?
To make these crispy black bean tacos, all you need is:
- Canned black beans
- Olive oil
- Lime juice
- Coleslaw mix
- Corn tortillas
- Feta cheese
How to Make Crispy Black Bean Tacos
These vegetarian tacos couldn’t be easier to make! Here are the basic steps to making this black bean taco recipe:
- Mash together the black beans and cumin.
- Toss together the coleslaw mix, olive oil, lime juice, avocado, tomato, and cilantro.
- Heat more oil in a skillet, then place tortillas on top in single layer.
- Spoon bean mixture into tortillas, then fold in half. Cook until golden brown.
- Fill the crispy vegetarian tacos with slaw mixture and feta.
Can I Use Another Type of Bean?
There really isn’t a good substitute for black beans, because of their high protein content. Pinto beans are similar in texture and taste. And Great Northern beans will also work, but the color will not be the same.
Can I Use Flour Tortillas?
You probably can, but we prefer using corn tortillas since they crisp up well without needing to use much oil.
Tips for Making Crispy Vegetarian Tacos
We seasoned the black beans simply with cumin. Feel free to use your favorite taco seasoning instead or play around with the flavors.
Ditto with the taco toppings. We love the homemade slaw, but amp up the taco toppings to suit your taste. Hot sauce, shredded cheese, and pickled jalapeño would all be good additions!
Because these black bean tacos come together so quickly, we don’t recommend prepping them in advance. They’re best fresh while they’re still crispy.
More TACO RECIPES:
- Spaghetti Tacos
- The BEST Pork Carnitas Recipe
- Spiced Idaho Tacos
- Poblano Braised Beef Tacos
- Authentic Carne Asada Tacos
- BBQ Pulled Pork Tacos
- ALL OF OUR MEXICAN RECIPES!
Crispy Black Bean Vegetarian Tacos
Crispy Black Bean Vegetarian Tacos
- 15 ounce black beans, , drained
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, , divided
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, fresh
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 avocado, , chopped
- 1 tomato, , chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped fresh
- 4 tortillas, white or yellow corn
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- bottled chipotle hot sauce , or other hot sauce
- Place beans and cumin in small bowl; partially mash.
- Mix 2 teaspoons olive oil and lime juice in medium bowl; add coleslaw, avocado, tomato, and cilantro and toss to coat.
- Season slaw to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat 3 teaspoons olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add tortillas in single layer.
- Spoon 1/4 of bean mixture onto half of each tortilla; cook 1 minute.
- Fold tacos in half. Cook until golden brown, about 1 minute per side.
- Fill tacos with feta and slaw and eat up!