Did you know that I had never had egg salad until just a few years ago? I mean a real egg salad.This dill egg salad is the one that totally sold me on the meal. Growing up I had an egg sandwich a few times, but it was scrambled eggs not hard boiled which is a whole new ball game. It’s actually a really easy and great lunch because you can prepare the “dressing” and hard boiled eggs, keep them in the fridge and combine them for lunch each day. And if you’re unsure about making the perfect hard boiled egg, just read this. It will be perfect every time. (NO green egg yolks here!) Plus, you can kind of play around with how you make the egg salad.
We choose to take out some or even half of the yolks so that we are mostly eating egg whites-more protein less cholesterol. You’ll also be happy to know that getting a little protein in for lunch not only helps you to stay full longer, but it will actually help you to stay in shape too. Protein is not just for bulking up, for for maintaining a healthy weight too. But, more on that later, let’s get back to the food.
And of course there’s the mayonnaise. We choose to go halfsies, half mayo and half greek yogurt. Again, we get a little extra protein with less fat, but of course you could do all greek yogurt or all mayonnaise. It just depends on what you prefer. We love how light and fresh this tastes with the creamy avocado and the dill. I really prefer to use fresh dill, but it’s easier to use dried. We just don’t really have fresh dill hanging around, but when we do we totally use it. Remember, dry herbs are stronger than fresh, so you’ll want to double the amount of fresh.
Are Eggs Good For You?
Eggs are an efficient, rich source of protein and vitamins.
They are also low in calories.
A large egg is only around 78 calories.
How Long Will Eggs Keep?
With proper storage, eggs can last for at least 3–5 weeks in the fridge and about a year in the freezer.
How Do You Tell If An Avocado Is Ripe?
The best way to know if an avocado is ripe is to feel it.
If it yields to gentle pressure, it is ripe.
An avocado is ripe if the stem end pushes in with a little pressure from your fingertip.
Avocado Egg Salad Wrap
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Avocado Egg Salad Wrap
- 5-6 Large Eggs hard boiled *see note
- 1/4 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 Cup Fat Free Mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 Large Avocado
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dill Weed dry
- 1 Pinch of Kosher Salt
- Pepper to taste
- Spinach or Plain tortillas or wraps
- Spring Lettuce or spinach
- Smash up the eggs, choosing to leave out some of the yolks if you are shooting for a healthier egg.
- Set aside in a large bowl.
- In a blender, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard, salt, pepper, dill, and avocado. Blend until smooth, remove from the blender and mix into the eggs. Depending on the size of your eggs, you may have extra dressing. I add a little at a time until I reach the desired dressing to egg ratio.
- Serve on tortillas or wraps with dark greens like spinach or spring mix.