I think a good brownie recipe is actually kind of hard to come by. Some are too cakey, some too dry, some taste like cocoa powder and others just taste like booty. For me, well I think these are way too stinkin’ rich. I think they have fantastic flavor, perfectly moist, but too rich. In fact I use half semi-sweet and half milk chocolate chips just to tone it down a bit. Now, most of you probably loooove rich, I prefer strawberry shortcake or a berry trifle for dessert so I guess you can’t really take my opinion. My husband LOOOOOVES Ina Garten’s Outrageous Brownies recipe. It’s the most requested brownie recipe at my house. I bet you’ll love it too.
Ina Garten’s Outrageous Brownies
Ina Garten's Outrageous Brownies
By Ina, herself
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 1 pound plus 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 6 extra-large eggs
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules (we omit this)
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped walnuts (we omit these)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 12 x 18 x 1-inch baking sheet.
- Melt together the butter, 1 pound of chocolate chips, and the unsweetened chocolate in a medium bowl over simmering water.
- Allow the chocolate mixture to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, stir (do not beat) together the eggs, coffee granules, vanilla, and sugar.
- Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In another medium bowl, sift together 1 cup of flour, the baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Toss the walnuts and 12 ounces of chocolate chips in a medium bowl with 1/4 cup of flour, then add them to the chocolate batter.
- Pour everything into the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then rap the baking sheet against the oven shelf to force the air to escape from between the pan and the brownie dough.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Do not overbake! Allow to cool thoroughly, refrigerate, and cut into 20 large squares
Yield: 1 batch, Serving Size: 1 batch
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 13350 Calories
- Total Fat: 957.5g
- Cholesterol: 2228.5mg
- Carbohydrates: 1188.9g
- Fiber: 102.8g
- Sugar: 897.6g
- Protein: 174.5g