A creamy ground beef and rice casserole with little bits of carrots and covered in gooey cheese all made in an Instant Pot! It’s the most popular recipe on our site and now our Instant Pot Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Casserole takes only 10 minutes from start to finish!
Growing up, my mom called this busy day casserole because it was quick and easy to put together and throw in the oven to be ready at dinner time. With the Instant Pot, you can make this not only on a busy day, but on an ultra crazy insane day, which it seems like we are having more and more of here. Instant Pot Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Casserole for the win!!!!
Our original hamburger and rice casserole gets hundreds of pins every month. We just knew we had to create a recipe for the Instant Pot to make it an even quick and easier weeknight meal for your family.
Just like the original recipe, we have created two versions for this Instant Pot recipe. One is the super quick version, and one is the from scratch version. We like to make everything from scratch as often as possible, but sometimes life is crazy and you just need to open a can and pour it in to get dinner on the table.
Quick and Easy Version
For the quick and easy version, you want to start by turning your Instant Pot to “more” on the Saute mode. Saute the ground beef until it is mostly cooked through and then add the onion and garlic salt. Cook that for a few minutes and then drain any excess grease. Then add the cream of mushroom soup, water and carrots and stir everything together well. Add the rice to the top and push it down slightly so it is just submerged under the liquid.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the valve to “Seal”. Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes and then allow a quick release by turning the valve to open it. Give everything a good stir. You can add the cheese to the top then or we really like to place everything into an oven safe pan and then top with cheese and stick it unto the oven on broil to melt the cheese.
From Scratch Version
For the from scratch version, we are going to make our own cream of mushroom soup. We start with the same steps of sauteing the ground beef and onions and removing it and draining the excess grease. Then it is time to make the cream of mushroom soup.
With the Instant Pot still on saute, add the butter, onion, garlic and mushrooms and saute it until everything is tender. Whisk everything with the flour for about 30 seconds. Add the cream, chicken broth and seasonings and whisk until it all comes together and thickens. Then you can add the rest of the ingredients except the rice (water, garlic salt, carrots, previously cooked ground beef and onions) and stir everything thoroughly. Add the rice on top and push it down slightly so it is submerged in the liquid.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot, set the valve to “Seal” and set it to high pressure for 6 minutes and then quick release when it has finished cooking. From there you can follow the instructions given in the quick version for melting the cheese.
Make it How You Like It
One of the things I love about casseroles is that you can totally change things up to fit your family’s likes. You can add different vegetables (broccoli, green beans, corn, etc), you use cooked shredded chicken instead of beef, or you use different cheeses for the top (pepper jack for some heat maybe?). This recipe is so versatile!
Picky Eater Solution
I’ve mentioned several times that I was a picky eater growing up…sorry mom! Now my pickiness has come full circle and I have picky eaters of my own. Bless them! They love this casserole just like I did growing up. It is the cure to picky eater syndrome, and it even is getting vegetables in their bodies! Woop woop! I only wish I could find 10 more recipes they all will eat! A girl can dream!
So there it is! One of our most popular recipes now made Instant Pot friendly. You’re welcome! You will love this simple, comforting and flavorful casserole in just 10 minutes!
Instant Pot Dinner RECIPES
Looking for a few different Instant Pot dinner recipes other than our Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Casserole? Here are just a few to get you started: Easy Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff, Instant Pot Taco Soup, Award Winning Instant Pot Chili, Award Winning Healthy Turkey Instant Pot Chili, Instant Pot Smothered BBQBeef Burritos, Easy Instant Pot Honey Chicken, Smoky BBQ Instant Pot Ribs, BBQ Instant Pot Whole Chicken, and finally, Award Winning Instant Pot Turkey.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.
Instant Pot Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Casserole
- 1.3 pounds Ground Beef
- 1/3 Cup Onion minced
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1 Can Soup Roasted Garlic Cream of Mushroom, or regular cream of mushroom soup
- 1 Cup Rice uncooked Long Grain White
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Carrots sliced
- 1 1/2 Cups cheese Cheddar or colby jack, sliced or shredded
- 3 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1/4 cup onion minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup mushroom minced, white button
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- salt to taste
- 2 Cups Water
- 1.3 lbs Ground Beef cooked
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1 Cup Carrots sliced
- 1 Cup White Rice uncooked Long Grain
- Cheese Cheddar or colby Jack, sliced or shredded- about 9 slices
- Heat the instant pot to "more" on the saute mode.
- Add the ground beef and cook until almost cooked through, add the onion and garlic salt and saute for a total of 3-5 minutes.
- Drain excess grease.
- Add the soup, water and carrots and stir well to combine.
- Add the rice on top and push it down so it is just submerged under the liquid.
- Add the lid and set the valve to seal.
- Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes. Allow a quick release by turning the valve, stir everything together and either add the cheese or we like to pop it in a dish and cover with cheese under the broiler.
- Heat the instant pot to saute and add the ground beef.
- Remove the meat to a plate and drain off grease.
- Keep the instant pot on saute and add the butter, onion, garlic and mushrooms. Cook until tender and whisk in the flour for 30 seconds.
- Add the cream, broth and seasoning and continue to cook on saute until bubbling and thick.
- Quickly add all ingredients into the pot, stir well and add the lid.
- Set the valve to seal and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Follow remaining instructions above.