This is hands down the BEST Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff. It’s so easy to make and comes together in under an hour. We’ve also included instructions on how to make this recipe in a slow cooker, just in case you don’t own an Instant Pot.
Easy Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
It’s time!!! It’s time for the holidays and I’m so excited I just can’t hide it!!
Oh my goodness, I’m totally kidding. I’m dreading the holidays this year and I need a serious attitude adjustment, so I decided to do what any good blogger would do and write about it.
We are so tired. We have a lot on our plates with this site lately, and it’s making me miss out on the excitement of preparing for the holidays. It’s really been bugging me, but as I’m writing this I’m realizing maybe this is a good thing. Being aware that things aren’t balanced can be an opportunity for me to ditch the unimportant and go after a magical holiday with our family. No need for stuff, just memories together.
In fact, one of our favorite bloggers, LeighAnne Wilkes, has a new Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook and I turned a classic slow cooker beef stroganoff recipe into an easy instant pot beef stroganoff to see if I could make it for those days when you find out family is coming to dinner in 1 hour and it totally worked! Don’t worry, I’ll give you instructions for both ways in this post.
The Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook is just what I needed to remember to make each holiday about the people around my table, and it’s all super simple. That’s my goal this year, to look around my table more and just be. I’m going to use this cookbook to make each holiday be about us. Want to join us? The cookbook is on sale on Amazon right now!! I’m trying her slow cooker chili next!
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff Ingredients
Instant Pot stroganoff looks like it requires a lot of ingredients, but most of them are actually spices you probably have in your pantry! Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy beef stroganoff recipe in an Instant Pot:
- All-purpose flour
- Stew meat
- Olive oil
- Beef broth
- Salt and pepper
- Dried parsley flakes
- Fresh or dried thyme
- Worcestershire sauce
- Crimini mushrooms
- Sour cream
- Pasta, for serving
Which Beef is Best for Beef Stroganoff?
Growing up, my mom made homemade beef stroganoff with ground beef, but I’m a big fan of making this Instant Pot beef stroganoff with Wagyu beef or Stew Meat. Really, whatever you have on hand will work in a pinch, but obviously the better quality the meat is, the better the flavor of the stroganoff sauce.
How to Make Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
I don’t think this Instant Pot beef stroganoff could be any easier to make! Here are the basic steps to mastering this pressure cooker beef stroganoff recipe:
- Start with your instant pot on browning and get that meat caramelized. It will give so much more flavor to the dish.
- After you’ve browned the meat just set it to high heat for 20 minutes, add the remaining ingredients except the sour cream, and stir to combine.
- Once it’s done cooking, stir in the sour cream and serve over noodles!
Tip: If you’re looking for all the details on how to cook all the basics in the Instant Pot, check out our Instant Pot Cheat Sheet! We can’t live without it!
Can I Make Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Instead?
Of course! Low and slow is the way to go, so ignore that high heat button on your slow cooker. Brown the meat, then cook the stroganoff sauce in the slow cooker on low for 8 hours. I don’t recommend cooking the sauce on high for less time as the flavor won’t be nearly as good.
Can I Use Frozen Stew Meat?
Yes, you’d just need to add 2 extra minutes to the cook time.
Can I Double This Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff Recipe?
If your Instant Pot is large enough, then yes. We can fit a double batch in our 6-quart Instant Pot. Just make sure to brown the meat in batches!
What to Serve with Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Traditionally beef stroganoff is served with egg noodles, but we chose Fettuccini this time, which I actually preferred. A slightly smaller noodle felt a little less heavy and the meat really got to be the star of the show. It would be perfectly delicious to serve beef stroganoff with rice or mashed potatoes as well. I think it’s a great dish for a budget.
As far as sides go, here are our favorite dishes to serve alongside pressure cooker beef stroganoff:
- Simple Garlic Roasted Vegetables
- Southern English Pea Salad
- Easy Green Beans with Bacon
- Lemon Roasted Broccoli
- Honey Roasted Carrots
To see all of our family dinner recipes, head here! These are a few of our favorites…
Easy Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- 1/3 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 Pounds Stew Meat
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
- 1 1/4 Cups Beef Broth
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Parsley Flakes
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Thyme or 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 8 Ounces Crimini Mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- Fresh Parsley for Garnish
- Fettucini Pasta or Egg Noodles , for serving
- In a large ziploc bag, add the flour, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Add the stew meat and seal the bag, then shake to evenly coat.
- Set the instant pot to browning and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the meat and onions, turning the meat occasionally until browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- Turn the instant pot to high heat and add the remaining ingredients except the sour cream. Add the lid, making sure it's set to seal and set the time for 20 minutes.
- Either quick release the pressure or wait 15 minutes until the pressure has released and stir in the sour cream.
- Serve over noodles with fresh parsley.
To make this recipe in a slow cooker:
- Heat a pan to medium heat and add the oil. Once hot, add the meat and onions and brown for 3-4 minutes, turning the meat as it browns.
- Turn off the stove and transfer the meat and onions to a slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients except the sour cream and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours, during the last hour of cooking add the mushrooms.
- Once finished, add the sour cream and stir everything together. Serve over noodles.