Mmmm, Mom’s Creamy Potato Soup is the stuff good memories are made out of. Growing up in the northwest meant that we had lots of opportunities for cold, rainy nights with creamy potato soup and cinnamon rolls. Just the thought of it sends me to my happy place. We may have been cold and wet from playing outside but mom always knew that her creamy potato soup would warm us right up! Now that I’m older it still warms my heart and soul when I make it to serve to my family. So many great memories from when I was younger and now I’m adding to it with memories made by my own family. Since I’ve grown up and started making it on my own, I’ve also started to add stuff to it. Don’t get me wrong, creamy potato soup is great and will always hold a special place in my heart, but what about Baked Potato Soup! Delicious. Just delicious. Below is the basic recipe, but I encourage you to add your favorite toppings. Maybe a little bacon? A little sharp smoked cheddar? A few sauteed mushrooms? Maybe a few crumbled crackers on top? The possibilities are endless! The soup in the photo has bacon, corn, chives and pine nuts. I don’t know why, but I also like to stir in a teaspoon of honey in my bowl just before I eat. It doesn’t sound like it would be good, but it is.
Are Potatoes Good For You?
Potatoes are low in calories and they are a good source of vitamins C and B6, manganese, phosphorus, and niacin.
What Is A Good Substitute For Cream Cheese?
You could substitute one cup plain Greek yogurt, or pureed cottage cheese.
Neufchâtel cheese is a lower fat cheese that looks and tastes almost exactly the same as cream cheese.
Can Chicken Granules Be Substituted For Bouillon Cubes?
One teaspoon granules can be substituted for one bouillon cube.
Mom’s Creamy Potato Soup
Mom's Creamy Potato Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
By: Our Mom =)
- 1/2 Cup Onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 Potatoes Med.
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 8 oz cream cheese room temp
- 1/4 Cup flour
- 3 Cups milk I use skim or 1% & it still turns out rich & yummy
- Saute onion in butter in a medium sized stock pot.
- Add potatoes, bouillon, water, and salt.
- Cover & bring to a boil.
- Cook 15 min. or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, blend cream cheese and flour until smooth.
- When potatoes are soft, stir the cream cheese mixture in. It will be thick and clumpy, keep stirring.
- When it is mixed as evenly as possible without smashing the potatoes, add the milk, and anything else you want (baked potato toppings).
- Bring up to a simmer, stirring often to prevent scorching.
- Simmer at least one hour (sometimes I eat it as soon as it's heated through-still good).
Mom's Creamy Potato Soup
Amount Per Serving (1 g)
Calories 344 Calories from Fat 189
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 12g75%
Vitamin A 822IU16%
Vitamin C 17mg21%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.