This Peanut Butter Mug Cake is moist and indulgent and only takes 5 minutes to throw together. Even better, mug cake is a great kid-friendly recipe.
Peanut Butter Mug Cake! Well now that I have your attention, I have a delightful little recipe for you, for those days when you really want a cosy dessert but you forgot to prepare anything.
Who doesn’t love a cute cake in a cup – aka a delicious miniature cake for one made in just minutes, perfectly portioned so that all you need to do is find a spoon and a comfy space on the couch?
I used to think my One Bowl Chocolate Cake was easy but then I created this mug cake and now I’m hooked. Made from scratch, fluffy and flavorful, I bet you have all the ingredients you need for this recipe on hand right now.
The all-important ingredients
Now, mug cakes are only small and we’re trusting the microwave to cook it perfectly, so it’s important to get the right balance of ingredients.
- Peanut butter and chocolate are of course the main flavour components here and a perfect couple
- Vegetable oil helps to keep the mug cake moist – no dry mug cakes here.
- Egg white gives the cake structure and helps it to be light and fluffy. You can make this eggless and use milk instead but the texture is much better using the egg white.
- This mug cake recipe uses brown sugar for enhanced flavor and also moisture
- Finally, cake regulars, flour and baking powder do the job of structure and lift
All in your favorite mug.
There is a long list of amazing peanut butter desserts on this site so if you’re a PB lover like me check out these Peanut Butter Cheesecake Oreo Brownies or this fudgy Peanut Butter Brownie Cake and who can go past a Classic Peanut Butter Cookie – that would be not me!
How to make Peanut Butter Mug Cake
- Start by combining the wet ingredients and sugar in a large mug. Give it a good whisk with a fork.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined
- Cook on high for 70 seconds then devour at will.
How much does this recipe make?
There’s no getting around it – this Peanut Butter Mug Cake is a decadent treat and the recipe fills a regular mug – about 1 cup worth of cooked cake. Perfect as a decadent dessert but if you want smaller ones, you can certainly divide the batter between two ramekins.
And while this batter is made directly in the cup (read: only 1 cup, 1 fork and 1 spoon to wash up), you could make a bigger batch in a bowl and then pour it into the cups – great idea if you have more than a couple to make.
An even better option would be, if you have kiddies, to get them involved making their own little dessert. Mug cake is a brilliant kid-friendly recipe, being safe for even the real littlies to make and teaching them about combining ingredients all at the same time.
Variations on this mug cake
- Chocolate chips – swap the milk chips for semi-sweet or even white. Both go well with peanut butter.
- Gooey centre – if you really want to dial it up a notch, push a lindt ball into the top before it cooks for a molten, gooey chocolate centre.
- A little drizzle – I like to drizzle chocolate over the top of mine but you can drizzle peanut butter if you prefer. Or why not add a dollop of ice cream or jelly once it’s cooked.
- Peanut butter swap – you can swap the peanut butter in this mug cake for Nutella, cookie butter, or any other nut butter too.
- Microwaves vary so the cooking time may vary too. Test it after a minute then add 10 second increments until you have your perfect timing worked out. It’s ready when you touch the top lightly and it doesn’t create a deep dent.
- If you are cooking more than one at a time, they will take longer to cook
- If you split the batter for one into 2 ramekins, they will cook much quicker.
I think that’s everything you need to know to go and make a delicious little Peanut Butter Mug Cake right now. What are you waiting for?
Want more Peanut Butter and Chocolate recipes? How about these
- No Bake Mini Peanut Butter Cheesecakes
- No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Triple Layer Brownies
- Instant Pot Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake
Peanut Butter Mug Cake
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 egg white (from a large egg) notes
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon chocolate chips
- Combine the oil, sugar and egg white in a mug and whisk well with a fork until fully combined.
- Add the peanut butter and mix well again.
- Add the flour, baking powder and choc chips and mix until just combined.
- Cook in the microwave on high for 1 minute & 10 seconds (notes)
- Egg white: you can swap the egg white for 2 tablespoons of any milk but egg white definitely gives the best texture.
- Cooking time: This will vary depending on the wattage of your microwave so test at 1 minute first, then increase in 10 second increments until you've found your perfect cook time.
- More than one: The cooking time will also vary if you cook more than one at a time.
- Smaller Cakes: Batter can be divided into ramekins for smaller cakes but these will take less time to cook.