I’m not sure how I’ve lived my whole life without ever having a Philly Cheesesteaks or owning a Swiss Diamond Grill Pan and Saute Pan. All three are my new favorites. I tend to gain new favorites quite often, but I guarantee that these will be faves forever. For-Ev-Er. Couldn’t resist. I say it that way in my head almost every time.
The grill pan itself is amazing. First of all, it’s made with real diamond crystals.
Can you see how deep the saute pan is? It’s the best! Love it. Love, love it. A good quality pan makes all the difference, and these peppers and onions turned out perfect. A little bit of olive oil, add everything on high, turn it down and let these suckers slowly cook to softened, sweet deliciousness.
The provolone sauce is the last, and in my own opinion the best part of the sandwich. I thought about going for sliced provolone and placing the whole sandwich under the broiler, but I kept going back to the sauce. I like that it made the entire sandwich a little more juicy and tender. I hate a dry sandwich.
I think that when it comes to a sandwich like this one your philosophy should be, “pile it on!” The more the better. Stuff it so full of meat, sauce and peppers that your jaw can barely open wide enough to shove it all in. And trust me, that’s exactly how I build that at my house.
What Is The Difference Between Red, Yellow and Green Peppers?
Red bell peppers are just ripened green bell peppers.
Green peppers are less sweet and slightly more bitter than yellow or orange peppers, with red bell peppers being the sweetest.
Can You Use White Onions Instead of Yellow Onions?
White onions have a slightly milder flavor than yellow onions.
White onions can be substituted for yellow onions.
Does Kosher Salt Taste Different Than Table Salt?
Kosher salt has a cleaner, lighter taste than ordinary table salt.
Kosher salt is free of any additives, while iodine is often added to table salt.
For the Sandwich
- 2-3 lb Beef Sirloin trimmed (I ask my butcher to do it since it's free and saves me time. They would probably slice it for you too, but it
- takes hardly any time and I don't mind doing it)
- 2 of each red, yellow, orange and green peppers, sliced
- 1 Yellow Onion sliced
- Hoagie Rolls
- Olive oil
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1 tablespoon Flour
- 1 1/2 Cup Whole Milk not skim
- 1 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Cup Sharp Provolone shredded (I buy my from the deli at Harmons or Gourmet Cheese section in a chunk. You do NOT want to buy pre-sliced or shredded. It's not the same quality, and will not melt correctly.)
- Salt and pepper
- Begin by placing the meat in the freezer for 30-45 minutes.
- Then thinly slice the meat. You can do this ahead, or if short on time just let it be in the freezer while the onions and peppers cook and then pull it out and slice it. The freezer's purpose is just to allow you to slice the meat very thin.
- Start with the onion and peppers.
- In a saute pan over medium heat add a drizzle of olive oil and about a tablespoon of butter.
- As soon as the butter has melted add the onions to the pan and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- At this point, if the pan is looking a little dry add a little more olive oil, otherwise just add the peppers.
- Cook for another 15 minutes, or until the onions are caramelized and the peppers are soft.
- When you add the peppers in to cook begin on your sauce.
- In a saucepan add the butter and cook over medium heat until the butter is melted.
- Quickly add the flour and whisk for about a minute or until the color is nutty.
- Add the milk and continue to whisk.
- Add the Worcestershire.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer, whisking occasionally for 5-6 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from the heat and add the shredded provolone, whisking until smooth. (You can cover the sau
- Cook the meat last.
- Heat a grill pan to high.
- Throw the meat in the pan, drizzle a little olive oil over the meat and season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Cook for 30-60 seconds per side.
- Open the hoagies and stuff with the meat, cheese sauce, and onions/peppers.
- Serve immediately.