This pot roast sandwich is going to have husbands everywhere proposing all over again. Mark. My. Words. It’s just that good.
There’s this place here in Utah called, Gardner Village. It’s an old mill that used to be bursting with activity from the general store and mattress factory to the mill and blacksmith shop. Today the mill has been converted into little boutiques and stores, but it still has all of it’s old time charm. Especially this time of year when they bring out these amazing, full sized whimsical witch displays. They are so cute and fun. A few years back Cade had an awesome Pot Roast Sandwich at the restaurant there and when we got the email about creating a recipe using a Mrs Dash seasoning pack we knew immediately that we wanted to try the pot roast one and recreate that sandwich. And in case you saw my post on instagram about the samples I received you can win yourself some too! Just follow this link and spin to win!
Pot Roast Sandwich Recipe
We had a few friends over to try out this recipe with us. I mean, one opinion is never good enough, right? We needed a few more people to get in on the deliciousness. And although they had to patiently watch me photograph the meaty goodness, they were actually great help. It’s kind of nice to have some assistants helping with moving things around so you can just snap pictures. But more importantly it was so fun enjoying these big, hearty pot roast sandwiches together. THe guys totally dug in and Cade informed me that he would totally marry me all over again. So ladies, this one is a winner.
But ladies, don’t you worry this Pot Roast Sandwich is a meal that your guy can prepare for you too. You see, Mrs Dash has these awesome salt free, all natural seasoning packets that range from Beef Stew and Sloppy Joes to Pot Roast and Chili. Kind of awesome. I love that they actually taste like what they say they are! That’s not always true with seasoning packets and in case you haven’t noticed, many season packets are loaded, and I mean loaded with salt, so that’s pretty much all you taste. I was super hesitant when I got the packets, but I’m happy to say that sure enough, it really is salt free which allowed me to add the salt myself and control how salty the dish was. I know, some of you wont see that as a big deal, but try this packet and then try another. We’ve had the most inedible beef before because the packet was seriously so salty it gagged us.
Gosh, look at that glazed piece of awesomeness. So, back to why you can totally have your significant other surprise you with dinner. All you have to do is sprinkle the beef with the packet, place a pat of butter (about 1 tablespoon) on the beef and cook on low for 8 hours. This, this beautiful piece of juicy, tender, fall apart beef is the result.
Use the drippings of the meat with a little cornstarch to create a thickened sauce or gravy. Set it aside and this next part is the key. It’s simple, but trust me, it makes the sandwich even more yummy, butter the bread on each side and place it under the broiler until it’s browned. The butter gets all melted in the bread and it’s like a little secret in the Pot Roast Sandwich that no one knows what makes it so incredible. Then pour the gravy sauce over the meat and move on to the onions.
Did I mention the onions? No? Ooops! Cade says this is also a really important part. While everything is getting ready let some onions hang out in a low pan to get all caramelized and fantabulous.
I mean come on, folks! Doesn’t this Pot Roast Sandwich just look like heaven? Dude, this is the stuff. Why is it that the most simple recipes are always the best? I mean, remember the garden skillet dish? Or the 15 minute pesto pasta? Simple is awesome. Just like the Mrs. Dash packet. Awesome.
And I now declare this Pot Roast Sandwich to be sandwich of the month. Or year. Whatever you want. Either way just make it. Make it, love it, and spread the word my friends. This Pot Roast Sandwich is life changing. It could even be called, the baby maker. Or not. But seriously, dive in.
What Kind Of Roast Is Best For Pot Roast?
The best cuts of beef for pot roast are, chuck roast, shoulder steak, boneless chuck roast, chuck seven-bone pot roast, or beef chuck arm and tri-tip.
Also, Brisket which is from the breast or lower chest and has long strands of meat.
Can Pot Roast Be Cooked In A Crock Pot?
Pot roast can be cooked in a slow cooker.
5-6 hours on high, or 8-10 hours on low.
What Are Hoagie Rolls?
A hoagie roll or hero roll is a type of long flat roll used to prepare sandwiches.
Pot Roast Sandwich
Pot Roast Sandwich
- 1 Beef Tri Tip (1.5 lbs)
- 1 Packet Mrs Dash Pot Roast Seasoning
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Butter, unsalted
- Hoagie Rolls
- Butter for toasting
For the Gravy
- 3/4 Cup Beef Drippings
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/4 Cup Cold Water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 Onion, sliced
- Place the beef in a slow cooker and sprinkle with the entire pot roast seasoning packet.
- Add the butter on top, place the lid on and cook on low for 8 hours, flipping over halfway through and dumping the juices over the top to flavor the other side.
For the Onions
- About 20 minutes before the beef is done, add the butter to a skillet and heat over medium heat until melted.
- Add the onions, turn down to low and let the onions caramelize for about 20 minutes.
For the gravy
- Once the beef is done, scoop out 3/4 cup of the juices and place in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the water and bring to a boil, whisking to break up any browned bits.
- In a small bowl combine the cold water and corn starch.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the hot liquid to the cornstarch mixture and then while whisking the drippings, slowly pour in the corn starch.
- Whisk to combine, bring back to a boil and then turn down to a simmer for about 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Cut the hoagie open and butter each side of the bread.
- Heat the oven to broil and lay the bread open so it can get browned. DO NOT WALK AWAY! I know you think you can run to change the laundry but the bread will burn. Talking from experience here.
- Remove the bread from the oven.
- Using tongs pick up chunks of the meat, it should fall apart, no cutting needed. Place on the bread, top with gravy and caramelized onions.
Depending on the size of your tri tip your meat could be done around 6-7 hours, just keep checking on it. We tend to buy bigger pieces at Costco so we are almost always 8 hours.
Yield: 4-6 hoagie sandwiches, Serving Size: 1
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 283 Calories
- Total Fat: 16.5g
- Cholesterol: 100.9mg
- Carbohydrates: 4.9g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Sugar: 0.9g
- Protein: 27.5g