This French dip sandwich recipe is our absolute favorite! Just the smell alone is amazing, but it’s also awesome because it’s made in the slow cooker (or Instant Pot). The meat is so tender it just falls apart and melts in your mouth.
French dip sandwiches are a comfort food at it’s finest. They are also great for feeding a crowd because they are always a hit!
Crockpot French Dip Sandwiches
Seriously? Had I really forgotten all about french dip sandwiches? I’m not even exaggerating. French dip sandwiches are something that I haven’t had a lot of, but the few I’ve had were always made with sliced roast beef or deli slices. Not my style. This time I kicked things up a notch with a slow cooker french dip sandwich recipe.
I think that’s probably why I never thought french dip sandwiches were worth remembering. This french dip sandwich, though, it’s killer! It kind of reminds me of our famous pot roast sandwich, but man that au jus is seriously wonderful.
A while back I said I needed to use some beef broth and posted about what to make on Facebook. Lisa from Gourmified suggested french dips! Aha! Genius. I was hooked on the idea, but I knew I wanted to make fresh bread and I wanted it to be good, tender, moist roast beef and nothing from the deli. I set out to make it and let me tell you, DELICIOUS!
The pot roast just falls apart in the slow cooker and it makes the most amazing au jus for dipping. The secret to a tender, juicy pot roast is to let it cook low and slow. You can actually use your Instant Pot to really speed things up, so I’ll add notes in for that as well.
But the real winner isn’t just the meat, it’s the combination of the meat, the HOMEMADE HOAGIES, yes homemade, and the au jus for dipping so don’t try to cut any corners. We added a little cheese to this version because why not?!
French Dip Sandwiches Ingredients
To make the BEST french dip sandwich recipe, you need surprisingly few ingredients. Here’s what all we put into this Crockpot french dip sandwich recipe:
- Tri tip
- Soy sauce
- Beef broth
- Bay leaf
- Dried spices
- Hoagie rolls
- Swiss cheese
Jump down to the recipe card for all the measurement for each ingredient.
How to Make French Dip Sandwiches
This french dip sandwich recipe couldn’t be simpler since your Crockpot does all the hard work. Here are the basic steps to making slow cooker french dip sandwiches:
- Add all the ingredients to a Crockpot.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours.
- Uncover, then shred the meat with two forks.
- Pop the lid back onto the Crockpot and let the shredded meat cook for another hour.
- Distribute the meat between the hoagie rolls and top with Swiss cheese.
- Place sandwiches under the broiled to melt the cheese, then enjoy!
Can I Make Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches?
Yes, very easily! Here’s how to make this Crockpot french dip sandwich recipe in an Instant Pot:
Follow steps 1 and 2 as listed in the instructions, then place lid on Instant pot with steam valve closed.
Switch Instant Pot setting to “manual” and set for 70 minutes on “high” pressure
Once finished cooking, do a quick release.
Remove the roast from Instant Pot, and proceed with steps 4-8 of the instructions.
What Kind of Meat Should Be Used for French Dip Sandwiches?
We’ve tried them all, and our favorite by far is tri tip! The flavor is so beefy and it soaks in the flavor of the soy sauce and spices so well. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
If you can’t find tri tip, or it is just too pricey, chuck or rump roasts also works great.
Tips for Making the Best French Dip Sandwiches
After the meat has been shredded and distributed among the hoagie rolls, make sure to save the juices the meat cooked in! You can dunk the french dip sandwiches into the juices. If desired, strain the juices through a mesh sieve to filter out any bits of dried spices.
We like our french dip sandwiches with Swiss cheese, but you’re welcome to use provolone cheese as well. Both are tasty options.
Lastly, if you wind up with leftovers, you can easily freeze the shredded meat and enjoy it later. It can be used to make lots more sandwiches, or it can be used in soups and stews.
Slow cookers sure make life easy, but they also make life delicious! When you make this slow cooker french dip sandwich recipe, your house smells like heaven and the whole family is going to be dying for you to say that dinner is ready! Oh, and don’t skip the au jus!
More Slow Cooker Recipes:
- Chili Sauce and Grape Jelly Slow Cooker Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Asian Sticky Slow Cooker Ribs
- Crockpot Chicken and Rice
- Slow Cooker Potato Broccoli Corn Chowder
- Tender Crockpot Whole Chicken
- Slow Cooker Korean BBQ Beef
- …All of Our Slow Cooker Recipes!
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
French Dip Sandwiches
- 3 pound tri tip
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1- 15 oz can beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- [Easy Hoagie Rolls Recipe]
- Swiss cheese slices
- Remove and discard the fat from the roast. Place the trimmed roast in a crockpot on low.
- In a medium bowl, combine soy sauce, beef broth, bay leaf, pepper, rosemary, thyme, and garlic powder. Pour mixture over the roast.
- Cover, and cook on Low heat for 8 hours.
- Take the meat out and shred it, then let it cook 1-2 hours more, or until meat is very tender.
- Remove meat from broth, reserving the broth.
- Distribute the meat on hoagies and top with swiss cheese.
- Place under a broiler until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted.
- Use reserved broth for dipping!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.