Listen, mom’s know best so just trust them!! Our church starts at 9:30 am so we are home by lunch and often find Sundays to be the perfect day to get in the kitchen and make a treat together. These pumpkin spice cookies were going to be nothing short of a fantastic baking sesh and a total headache.
Cade loves chocolate chip cookies. Loves them. He feels like there’s nothing that compares and his face always falls a little when he hears that while we are having cookies, it’s not chocolate chip. Oh good mercy. Well, our littlest and I had picked out Pumpkin Spice Chips by Nestle in the Halloween department at Target and we were all kinds of excited to try them, that is until Cade said, “Oh, so you’re not making chocolate chip?”
Good golly man! This immediately got our oldest daughter on his side, “well Mom, couldn’t just half the dough be chocolate chip?” Thanks Cadels, thanks so much! Just kidding, I wasn’t mad at all but I did roll my eyes a little.
Anyway, it ended up being so much fun. The girls did the entire cookie dough by themselves which I know you’re going to think I’m silly, but it made me so proud that I could just sit at the counter and watch them do their thing. No fighting, no bossing each other around (heaven knows the 9 year old is good at that) just sisters creating something delicious which they felt so proud of. And guess what? The cookies ended up buttery, chewy, soft, and totally delicious. Even Cade had to admit that they “turned out bomb.com” His words, not mine.
Are Cookies Considered Pastry?
I don’t think they technically are.
Pastry is a dough made from flour, shortening and water.
It’s used as a base or covering in dishes such as pies.
It can also be the name for baked dough products like Danish pastries.
Cookies are generally considered “baked goods”.
Can You Make Cookies Without Eggs?
You can make cookie dough that is delicious and safe either raw or baked without eggs.
You can use an egg replacement product, or you can substitute 1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil mixed with 1-1/2 tablespoons water and 1 teaspoon baking powder per egg.
You can also use 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce in place of one egg.
Can You Make Cookies in a Microwave?
You can bake cookies in a microwave.
Cookies will not brown, but will cook just fine in a microwave oven.
Place dough on a microwave plate and microwave for 40 seconds.
If it doesn’t look done yet, add another five seconds at a time.
Pumpkin Spice Cookies
Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable shortening
- 2/3 Cup Brown sugar
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Apple cider vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1 Bag Nestle Pumpkin Spice Chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, add the butter and shortening and mix until smooth. Add the sugars and mix again for at least 1-2 minutes. Mix in the salt, vanilla, egg and vinegar on low.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the baking soda, flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Add to the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined then stir in the pumpkin chips.
- Scoop rounded tablespoons of dough onto a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes. Enjoy!