Years ago, my friend Krysta introduced me to a pudding in chocolate chip cookies recipe which we still obsess over to this day. When I saw that pumpkin pudding hit the shelves of Walmart and Harmons this fall, I just knew I had to make a new version. The only problem was, which do I make?! I would normally shoot all three and do three different posts over the years, but this time I decided that since you all went nuts about it on instagram, I’d just get the recipe up ASAP!
You all know I can’t help myself when it comes to cookies! I have to try all kinds of different add-ins (kitchen sink cookies), toppings (peanut butter blossoms), stuffings (s’mores stuffed chocolate chip cookies) and techniques (lemon crinkle cookies).
We found 3 ways that we love these pumpkin pudding cookies – coated in cinnamon and sugar, loaded with chocolate chips, or stuffed with Rolos! We will detail each of those versions below.
Tips for the Best Pumpkin Pudding Cookies
Here are a few tips for the best pumpkin pudding cookies:
- You need 5.1 ounces of pudding but the pudding is only sold as 3.4 ounce boxes, so you’ll need to use 2 boxes and either weigh the powder into a bowl with a food scale, or just use about 1 1/2 boxes.
- If you go with the Rolos options, make sure there is a lot of dough on the bottom because the Rolos will seep out if there isn’t enough dough on the bottoms.
- If you make the chocolate chip version, save a few chocolate chips to place on top of each cookie. It makes them look so pretty and appetizing!
Ingredients for Pumpkin Pudding Cookies
These will just be your standard cookie ingredients here with the addition of the pumpkin pudding, some pumpkin pie spice and whatever add-ins you choose. Here is what you will need:
- Unsalted Butter
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Baking Soda
- Instant Pumpkin Pudding Mix
- Chocolate Chips
- Cinnamon Sugar
The measurements for each ingredient can be found in the recipe card at the end this post.
How to Make Pumpkin Pudding Cookies
The steps for these cookies are simple and then once you have your basic dough made, you decide which version you want to create. Here are the basic instructions:
- Preheat the oven.
- Combine all the wet ingredients (including the sugar) in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- In another both, combine all the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix to combine.
- Once the dough is combine, decide which version of the cookie you want to make (see section below)
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a silpat.
Watch How to Make Pumpkin Cookies
Three Versions of Pumpkin Pudding Cookies
Here are the details for our three favorite versions of these pumpkin pudding cookies:
- Chocolate chips: mix in the chocolate chips into the dough and roll in cinnamon and sugar if you want
- Cinnamon and sugar: scoop out balls of dough and roll them in cinnamon and sugar before baking
- Rolos: can be added to the plain dough or the dough with chocolate chips, roll in cinnamon and sugar (optional), stuff a Rolo into the dough making sure the dough is underneath the Rolo is thick.
Cinnamon sugar is a must at our house. You won’t believe how much it adds to the cookie. We fell in love with doing this because of our peanut butter stuffed peanut butter cookies and chocolate stuffed peanut butter cookies. We like all the version coated in cinnamon sugar!
How to Make Cinnamon Sugar
Generally the ratio of cinnamon sugar is 1:4 or 1 part cinnamon for everything 4 parts of sugar. I personally like it a little more cinnamon-y but it’s totally up to you!
What is Pumpkin Pie Spice?
Pumpkin pie spice is a combination of warm fall spices – cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice and nutmeg. So if you don’t have a jar of pumpkin pie spice, then you can make your own homemade pumpkin pie spice.
How to Use Pudding in Cookies
When you are using instant pudding in a cookie recipe, you use the pudding powder. You don’t actually make the pudding. The pudding powder gets added with the dry ingredients and adds flavor and a soft and chewy texture to the cookie once it is baked.
Can Pumpkin Pudding Cookies Be Frozen?
This dough is great for making ahead. Try making it, rolling into balls minus the cinnamon sugar and storing in air tight bags in the fridge or even freezing for up to 2 months! If you’re adding chocolate chips and/or Rolos, add them to the dough before freezing.
When you’re ready to bake them, let them thaw a little so you can roll them in cinnamon and sugar and then bake as stated in the instructions.
I love adding instant pudding to cookies. It adds such a great flavor and softness to the cookies. That’s why I had to try a new recipe when I saw pumpkin pudding showing up on the grocery store shelves! And boy, I was not disappointed! Which version of pumpkin pudding cookie is your favorite??
More Pumpkin Baked Goods You’ll Love:
- Chewy Pumpkin Cookies
- Swirled Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Sheet Cake
- Costco Copycat Crumb Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Roll
- Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Bundt Cake
- Gingersnap Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
- Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake
- Pumpkin Bread
Pumpkin Pudding Cookies
- 2 Cups Butter, Unsalted (4 sticks)
- 4 Eggs
- 1 ½ Cups Granulated Sugar
- 2 Cups Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 5 to 5 ½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 3.4 ounce boxes Instant Pumpkin Pudding Mix, *see note
- 3 Cups Chocolate Chips
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine butter, eggs, sugars, vanilla in large bowl until evenly mixed.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, pumpkin pie spice, salt, baking soda, and pudding mix.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the large bowl of wet ingredients.
- Once ingredients are combined slowly mix in chocolate chips. At this point you can stuff a rolo on the inside of one or just scoop onto a baking sheet. We prefer them rolled in cinnamon sugar regardless of the type we make, but it's up to you!
- Place on greased cooking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.