Cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion tossed in a homemade Greek vinaigrette mini skewers with a little square of feta cheese to make Simple Greek Salad Skewers.
Cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion are tossed in a homemade Greek vinaigrette and layered on mini skewers with a little square of feta cheese.
I’m so happy it’s finally produce season! Once the weather gets warmer, so many of my favorite foods come into season: berries, corn, and, one of today’s major ingredients, tomatoes. Using fresh produce in my summer cooking adds so much heartiness to each dish, not to mention, it makes everything so refreshing.
Today’s recipe is the perfect culmination of hearty vegetables and powerful flavors. I introduce to you my Greek salad on a stick, or more eloquently called my simple Greek Salad Skewers!
Greek salad is one of my favorites of all time, mostly because of all the veggies and the salty feta cheese. Oh and that dressing, guys…it’s so simple yet so flavorful! I love this salad so much and I don’t even need to serve it with a protein – it’s satisfying enough for me with the veggies and feta cheese.
Summer Party Food
But serving salad at your summer parties is tough. Greens take up a lot a space on a plate and they you gotta worry about using utensils on paper plates and just forget about it. It’s just too much work.
So that’s why I thought serving a version of this salad on little skewers would be a killer alternative. Plus you can totally let the kids pop up on a stool and do the assembling for you. 😉
How to Make Veggie Skewers
To make these salad skewers, I obviously couldn’t incorporate every ingredient on the skewers so I picked my favorites: cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, feta cheese, and Greek vinaigrette. I know kalamata olives are a major part of Greek salads, so feel free to add them if you like.
You can use toothpicks if you don’t have access to mini bamboo skewers.
Homemade Greek Vinaigrette
I first tossed the veggies in my homemade Greek vinaigrette and let them marinate together for a little to get the flavor all up in the veggies, maybe 1 hour or so.
Once the veggies are layered on, I finish them off with a cube of feta on the bottom. The cube shape helps the skewers stand on its own, but don’t feel bad about laying them flat if the skewers get too top-heavy to stand up.
Tips for Making Simple Greek Salad Skewers
Here are a couple more tips to help you make and serve these gorgeous simple Greek salad skewers:
- If you are not planning to serve these skewers right away, do not assemble the skewers yet. The veggies tend to dry out and lose all that yummy vinaigrette if they sit out too long. You can, however, prep the veggies and the feta separately and simply assemble right before serving.
- The recipe below has my own recipe for Greek vinaigrette, but you can substitute your own recipe or ever use a store-bought dressing, if you feel like it. However, I can guarantee that the one I’ve provided has a killer amount of flavor 🙂
There you have it – your new go-to recipe for the summer. You’re guests are going to love this new take on Greek salad, especially because they won’t need to worry about the utensils!
MORE ENTERTAINING RECIPE IDEAS YOU’LL LOVE:
It doesn’t take traveling to Italy to know that the simple, classic bruschetta appetizer recipe is the perfect way to use summer tomatoes or impress holiday guests.
Chewy flatbread covered in mozzarella and feta cheese and Greek-marinated chicken and grilled to perfection. Served with a tomato salad and homemade tzatziki sauce.
- 1 cucumber
- 1 medium red onion
- 32 cherry tomatoes
- 1 8-ounce block of feta cheese
For the Greek dressing:
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- Cut cucumber into 8 1-inch slices. Cut slices into quarters so you have 32 pieces. Place into medium bowl.
- Dice red onion into a medium dice. Add to bowl.
- Add cherry tomatoes to bowl.
- Slice into 4 rows and 4 columns to make 16 pieces. Cut each piece in half to make 32 cubes.
- Add cheese to the bowl.
- Prepare the Greek dressing by adding all the ingredients to a mason jar and shaking together. Add about 1/2 cup to the mixture in the bowl. Toss to combine. Set aside to marinate for about 30 mins to 1 hour. You can certainly marinate for longer if prepping this salad in advance.
- Layer veggies onto a small bamboo skewer. Finish with a cube of feta cheese and place standing on a serving platter. Repeat with the rest of the skewers.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 55 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 6mg Sodium: 133mg Carbohydrates: 2g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 1g Protein: 1g