Orzo pasta salad made with all the traditional Greek flavors you love and is a super easy side dish that you can make ahead of time for your next potluck!
Juicy cherry tomatoes, tangy feta cheese, red onions and black olives all coated in fresh lemon juice. This pasta salad is so bright and fresh!
We have a traditional Greek pasta salad on the blog, but I’m pretty obsessed with this orzo version. Just like I’m obsessed with our lemon orzo with parmesan and peas! Orzo is just so fun and so versatile!
What Is Orzo?
Orzo is a rice-shaped pasta that can be traditionally prepared as pasta or cooked and served in much the same way as rice.
Ingredients Needed to Make Greek Orzo Pasta Salad
In most grocery stores, you walk in and you’re in the produce section. So grab a few plastic produce bags and knock out half this list right there:
- Orzo Pasta
- Olive Oil
- Chicken Broth
- Lemon Juice
- Cracked Pepper
- Grape Tomatoes
- English Cucumber
- Red Onion
- Olives (black or kalamata)
- Fresh Parsley
You’ll find orzo right next to all your other pastas, and remember that you’re looking for a pasta that looks like rice.
How to Make Greek Pasta Salad
Scroll down to the recipe card to get all the specifics of how to make the pasta. Here are the basics:
- Toast the dry orzo in a little oil on the stove top.
- Add the garlic and then cook the pasta in chicken broth.
- Rinse and drain the onion.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, toss to coat and serve.
Tips for Making Perfect Orzo Pasta Salad
- Toast the pasta: we love the nutty flavor toasting the pasta gives the orzo in this dish!
- Cook past al dente: cook the pasta just past al dente. The pasta will soak in the lemon juice and cook a little more after being drained so you don’t want to overcook it and end up with mushy orzo!
- Add grilled chicken: this can easily be turned into a main dish if you just add a little grilled chicken to it!
Is Orzo Gluten-Free?
Many people mistakenly believe orzo is gluten-free because it looks like rice (which is gluten-free). However, because traditional orzo pasta is made with wheat flour it is NOT gluten-free. It’s becoming easier to find gluten-free alternatives though, so I’m sure you can find gluten-free orzo in store or online. Just make sure to double check the label to ensure it’s certified gluten-free!
How Long Will Greek Orzo Last?
Because this Greek orzo contains no meat, it will last for up to a week in the fridge. When reheating this easy dinner recipe, you’ll want to do so in a skillet with a little water or chicken broth to prevent the pasta from drying out or becoming gummy.
Can I Freeze Greek Pasta Salad?
Yes this pasta salad can be frozen. Cook the pasta as directed in the instructions, then let it cook completely. Freeze it in an airtight container. It will last in the freezer for 1-2 weeks.
Is Greek Pasta Salad Healthy?
Almost all the other Greek pasta salad recipes I’ve found online have an oil based dressing, but this is simply dressed with fresh lemon juice and parsley which makes it healthy. Orzo is a pasta, which makes it high in carbs, but all the rest of the salad is extremely healthy. Fresh veggies are always a good thing!
I think at least one pasta salad recipe should be enjoyed weekly all summer long! Put this Greek orzo pasta salad on the menu for this week!
Looking for more delicious ORZO RECIPES?
- Ham Lemon Orzo with Parmesan and Peas
- Lemon Orzo with Parmesan and Peas
- Caprese Orzo Pasta
- Zupas Copycat Tomato Basil Orzo Soup
- Lemon Orzo Pasta Salad
- Cuban Pasta Salad
- Teriyaki Chicken Pasta Salad
- Bacon Chicken Ranch Pasta Salad
- 10 Minute Ranch Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Spring Ham and Asparagus Lemon Cream Pasta
- Turkey Tetrazzini with Crunchy Honey Dijon Topping
- 15 Minute Pesto Pasta
- All our Pasta Recipes here!
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Greek Orzo Pasta Salad
- 1 1/2 Cups Orzo Pasta
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 3 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Lemon zested
- 1/2 Lemon juice of 1/2 lemon
- Cracked Pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Cup Feta cubed
- 10 oz Grape Tomatoes cut in half
- 1 Cucumber English, halved and sliced
- 1/2 Cup Onion red, sliced very thin
- 1 Cup Black Olives or Kalamata
- 2 Tablespoons Parsley fresh
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and pasta.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until toasted, about 30-60 seconds.
- Add garlic and stir it in
- Add the broth, a small amount at a time.
- Bring to a boil, cover the skillet with a lid and turn down to a simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the pasta has absorbed most of the water and is tender.
- Rinse the onion in cold water and drain well.
- Remove the lid and add remaining ingredients.
- Toss to coat evenly and serve immediately.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.