Need a simple summer dinner recipe? Us too and this simple slow cooker lemon butter chicken totally hit the spot the other night.
Are Slow Cooker Liners Safe?
The liners are made of a special material suitable for cooking foods in slow cookers on high, low, or keep warm settings.
Reynolds has safely used this blend of nylon resins for over 30 years.
Yes. Slow Cooker Liners are BPA-free and are FDA compliant for cooking.
It gets quite hot in Utah during the summer and the other day Carrian asked me if I could start dinner while she ran an errand and then we could finish up some house projects when she got back. I love a chance to get creative in the kitchen and Carrian is laughing as I type this because it didn’t end up being all that creative, but it’s really good so she can laugh all she wants.
I should let you in on our little joke. When we were first married I made dinner one night as Carrian had a late pilates class she had to teach and I wanted to have something ready to eat when she walked in the door. I can remember her walking into our little basement apartment and she said, “Oh, I think you made dinner!”
I thought she was extra excited, but she told me later she was extra sarcastic because the whole house was filled with one smell.
Lemon pepper was one of my newest discoveries and I loved it. Because it was so good I thought I was being extra creative by putting it on everything, lemon pepper chicken, lemon pepper broccoli, and heck, why not, lemon pepper roasted potatoes! I was so proud of myself and I could hardly wait to dig in.
Carrian sat down, and made it halfway through the meal before she started coughing and just couldn’t stop. By this point I was starting to notice that too much of a good thing is an accurate saying. It was so much pepper! We could hardly stand to take another bite!
How do You Reheat Chicken?
Reheating food is a basic skill for cooks, since discarding uneaten portions can be damaging to the food budget.
There are two fundamental points to remember when reheating meats.
One is to use gentle heat, to minimize the risk of overcooking and toughening meats, or creating unwelcome scorched flavors.
The second is to protect the food from drying.
These things are especially important when you are reheating a relatively delicate food like chicken.
Carrian has never let me forget that dinner, which is why we had a good laugh when she came home to a simple slow cooker lemon butter chicken recipe. It really was good and we served it with fluffy white rice, green beans and absolutely no lemon pepper.
Is it Safe to Cook Chicken in a Slow Cooker?
Although it seems that cooking food at such a low temperature might be dangerous, slow cookers are, in fact safe, according to the USDA.
When you use a slow cooker, food stays at 170-280 degrees in a tightly covered container.
Simple Slow Cooker Lemon Butter Chicken
Preorder our new book!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Simple Slow Cooker Lemon Butter Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts that have been pounded to thin and brined in saltwater (*see note)
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dry
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 2 Teaspoons Cornstarch
- 2 Teaspoons Water
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the garlic, melted butter, lemon juice, and thyme until combined.
- Set aside.
- Pour the melted butter mixture into a slow cooker and place the chicken breasts on top of it in an even layer.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the butter mixture all over the chicken breasts until they are completely coated on both sides.
- Then sprinkle each chicken breast evenly with a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for 3 hours.
- Whisk the cornstarch mixture in and cook an additional 2-3 hours until the chicken is cooked through, and the sauce slightly thickened.
This is the easiest way to enjoy a juicy, rotisserie like chicken by only using a crockpot.Slow cooker whole chicken that anyone can make!