Slow cooker chicken recipes are great to have in your back pocket for those nights you know are going to be busy. Loaded with fresh garlic and sweetened by brown sugar, this Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken recipe is flavorful and family-friendly.
Cade and I used to make this recipe when we first got married because it was so easy to make and there would be enough leftovers for the next night so that while we were busy in school I didn’t have to cook dinner every night.
Usually the best time for me to prep for dinner is in the morning while our girls are at school. That’s where crock pot meals come in! I love them! They make dinner so easy and this slow cooker chicken recipe is super simple and makes the house smell delish!
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken?
I hope you’re ready for how easy this is! All you need is 6 ingredients and about 15 minutes of prep time.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a skillet over medium high heat and brown your salt and peppered chicken thighs on the skin side.
- Once all your chicken is browned, add it along with the garlic, oregano and salt to the slow cooker.
- Give everything a good mix leaving the chicken skin side up and then sprinkle the chicken with brown sugar.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. We like to top it with some fresh chopped parsley right before serving.
That’s it! Then in the evening when I’m mom taxi-ing all over the land, we can pop home for an hour or so and throw some dinner down before heading off to soccer or church activities.
What to Eat with Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken?
Notes for Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken:
- Chicken thighs – we prefer to use chicken thighs (bone in, skin on) for maximum flavor and the most juicy chicken.
- Brown the chicken thighs first – this add so much flavor and color which makes it not only visually appealing but also scrumptious!
- Low temp vs high temp – if you have the time, go with low temp for 8 hours. It makes the chicken so juicy and tender!
What is The Difference Between a Slow Cooker and a Crock Pot?
Crock pot has become sort of a generic term for all slow cookers. Technically, a Crock Pot is a specific brand of slow cooker. Both do the same thing, cook dishes low and slow with minimal attention. Either one works great for this recipe.
Can You Leave a Slow Cooker on When Not at Home?
We don’t watch the show, but we’ve heard the show This is Us caused quite the stir for Crock Pot and leaving them unattended. While it is probably safest to be home while the crockpot is running, the Crock Pot customer service assures that it is safe to leave it unattended while not at home. I’ve done it my whole life and never had an issue, but you just never know I guess!
Can You Overcook in a Slow Cooker?
Yes, it is possible though not likely if you have followed a recipe correctly. On most slow cookers, you can set a programmed cook time and then it will automatically switch to warm to keep everything nice and hot for your dinner.
Are Chicken Thighs Healthier Than Breasts?
Oh the age old debate! It depends on your definition of “healthier”. Both are great sources of lean protein. Chicken thighs are higher in calories and saturated fat (hello delicious flavor!) but they are about equal with breasts for number of calories. Chicken thighs are also much cheaper.
Does Kosher Salt Taste Different Than Table Salt?
No, there is no difference in taste. The main difference is texture and the lack of iodine and anti-caking agents found in table salt. We almost always use kosher salt or sea salt.
What Can You Substitute For Brown Sugar?
If you run out of brown sugar and then get in the middle of this recipe, just substitute it for equal parts white granulated sugar with a little molasses added. You’ll get the same delicious flavor. If you are looking to eliminate refined sugar altogether, try using honey or real maple syrup.
I love easy, low maintenance meals and this slow cooker garlic chicken is perfect for a busy night where mouths need to be fed. You’re likely to have leftovers to have another night too! Winning!
More Crock Pot Recipes You’re Sure to Love:
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Rice
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili
- Crock Pot Cafe Rio Chicken
- Slow Cooker Smothered BBQ Beef
- How to Cook a Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Mexican Chicken
- Slow Cooker Potato Broccoli Corn Chowder with Bacon
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs in the Slow Cooker
- Asian Sticky Slow Cooker Ribs
- Chili Sauce and Grape Jelly Slow Cooker Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Korean BBQ Beef
- Chicken Carnitas
- All our CROCKPOT and SLOW COOKER recipes here!
Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken
- 8 chicken thighs bone in, skin on
- 12 Cloves Garlic minced
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano dried
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh, chopped
- In a skillet over medium high heat, add a drizzle of olive oil. Salt and pepper the chicken and brown on the skin side.
- Add the chicken, salt, oregano and garlic to the slow cooker.
- Mix everything together, leaving the chicken top side up.
- Sprinkle on the brown sugar.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.