Are a Slow Cooker and Crockpot the Same Thing?
A crock pot is actually a type of slow cooker, so they are very similar, but not all slow cookers are also crock pots.
A crock pot is a type of slow cooker with a stoneware pot that sits inside a surrounding heating element.
A slow cooker is a usually metal pot that sits on top of a heating surface.
This slow cooker whole chicken is dedicated to all of my favorite friends that claim that they can’t cook. I bet you a million dollars that this tender slow cooker whole chicken will turn out perfect for you.
This tender slow cooker whole chicken was so moist that I could not even lift it out of the crock. Can you see where I tried and the chicken totally fell apart? I’m serious, I finally lifted it out and all that was left was a pile of bones. The bones were no longer in the carcass shape either.
Will Chicken Bones Hurt a Dog?
We’ve all heard the saying, ‘Don’t feed your dog chicken bones!’
But really, feeding any cooked bone to your dog is dangerous because cooked bones may splinter and damage the stomach and intestines.
Raw bones do not normally splinter.
Tender Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
There’s nothing like cooking a whole chicken in a crock pot. It’s the easiest way to do it as there’s no tying of kitchen twine, no roasting pan, no watching the oven and the internal temperature. You just set it and forget it.
Is it Safe to Cook Chicken in a Slow Cooker?
Although it seems that cooking food at such a low temperature might be dangerous, slow cookers are, in fact safe, according to the USDA.
When you use a slow cooker, food stays at 170-280 degrees in a tightly covered container.
The chicken is delicious and you could add whatever spices or sauce suits your fancy. I reaaaaaaaally wanted a rotisserie, but this recipe is seriously just as good. Cross my heart.
How Long to Defrost a Whole Chicken
I only want to remind you of two things,
1. Defrost your whole chicken the day before. It will take at least all day in the fridge to defrost. You can buy a fresh one if you are too nervous that you wont defrost it all the way.
How to Pronounce Giblets
Just really quick can we correct one thing? It’s “JIB-LITS” not “GIB-LETS”. Sorry but we should all know how to pronounce giblets because it may not be what you would think.
What are Giblets
The giblets (now that we are all pronouncing it correctly) are the heart, neck, liver, and gizzards that are packaged and stored in the cavity of a chicken or turkey. So if you ever wondered, what are giblets, now you know, it’s the inside stuff.
Why Remove Giblets from Chicken
2. Remove the giblets. These are great for making a really fantastic gravy but you don’t need them otherwise. Don’t be scared. Just reach in there and pull it out. You don’t want those baked in there.
If you do not have fresh garlic or thyme, don’t run to the store, just use dry thyme and garlic powder. Probably 1 Teaspoon powder.
Ham in a Slow Cooker
Did you know you can make a whole ham in the slow cooker?!
Tender Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
- 1 Whole 4-6 lb chicken, giblets removed
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fresh Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fresh Thyme (or 1 Ts Dried)
- 1 Clove of Garlic, minced
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Take the whole chicken and rinse it inside and out with water.
- Pat dry and set aside.
- Mix together all of the seasonings in a small dish.
- Using your fingers, gently lift the skin over the breasts by sliding your fingers up towards the neck to separate the skin and meat.
- Rub the spice mixture all over the chicken, over the skin and underneath right onto the breast meat.
- Place the chicken in a crock pot on low for 8 hours.
- Once the chicken is done, remove from the crock pot and serve with potatoes, and veggies.
There is plenty of liquid if you wish to make a gravy.
- Just heat the liquid in a pot and mix a little cornstarch and cold water.
- Once the liquid is boiling add a little to the cornstarch so it heats it up a bit, and slowly add it to the liquid, whisking vigorously.
- Season as needed.
Serving Size:6 ounces
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 167 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 56mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0.4g Sugar: 0.1g Protein: 14.3g