What Ingredients Go in Spinach Berry Salad?
This recipe can be broken down into three parts: the almonds, the dressing, and the salad. Here is what you will need:
Brown Sugar Almonds: sliced almonds (or slivered), butter, brown sugar, cinnamon
Dressing: lemon juice, oil, sugar, ginger, lemon zest
Salad: spinach, strawberries, mandarin oranges, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries
The measurements for each ingredient can be found in the recipe card at the end of the post.
How to Make Spinach Berry Salad
Brown Sugar Almonds
- Toast the almonds over medium heat in a sauce pan on the stove. Move them around a little while toasting. You want them to be browned slightly.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Keep cooking and stirring over medium heat until the brown sugar starts to bubble and stick tot he almonds.
- Remove the almonds from the heat and spread them out on parchment paper to cool.
- Pour all the ingredients into a glass jar and shake to combine.
- Combine the spinach, berries and oranges in a large bowl. Top with the almonds and then drizzle with the dressing.
- Toss everything together and serve immediately.
All of these instructions in greater detail can be found in the recipe card at the end of the post.
Can Almonds Cause Allergies?
All tree nuts have the potential to cause an allergic reaction in some people.
These allergic reactions can range from a mild rash to severe breathing difficulties.
Are Almonds Good For You?
Almonds are pretty nutritious.
Almonds are high in fiber, unsaturated fats, protein, and calcium.
Can Spinach Be A Source Of Iron?
Both raw and cooked spinach are excellent sources of iron, containing twice as much as other leafy greens.
Spinach is also rich in protein, fiber, calcium, and vitamins A and E.
Variations on Spinach Berry Salad
Here are a few other toppings that you could add or substitute in this salad:
- Red Onion
- Grilled Chicken
- Goat Cheese
What to Eat with Spinach Berry Salad?
I mentioned at the beginning that I love this salad in the summer, so here are a few ideas for a main dish to go with it:
This is the brightest and best salad you will have all summer long! The lemon dressing is sent straight from heaven and the crunch of brown sugar almonds has me coming back for more over and over and over again! Spinach berry salad is on my menu for the week!
More Fabulous Salad Recipes:
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Roasted Butternut Squash Kale Salad
- Smoked Chicken Kale Salad
- Teriyaki Chicken Salad
- Flank Steak Summer Salad
- The BEST Mango Chicken Salad
- Sweet Pork Salad with Mango Dressing
- Chicken Salad with Cilantro Vinaigrette
- Chicken Taco Salad
- All our SALAD RECIPES!
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Spinach Berry Salad with Lemon Dressing
For the Brown Sugar Almonds
- 1/2 Cup Almonds Slivered
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar or more
- 1 teaspoons Cinnamon
For the Dressing
- 1 Cup Lemon Juice use as much fresh as you can
- 1/2 Cup Oil canola or vegetable
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Ginger ground
- 1/8 Cup Lemon Zest 2 tablespoons
For the Salad
- 1 Bunch Spinach baby, washed
- Strawberries sliced
- 1 Can Mandarin Oranges drained, or blackberries
For the Almonds
- Toast the almonds over medium heat, watching carefully so as to not burn until slightly browning. Make sure you move them around while toasting.
- Add butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Continue to cook, stirring frequently until brown sugar begins to bubble and stick to the almonds.
- Remove from heat and spread almonds on parchment paper to cool.
For the Dressing
- Place the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake to combine or place in a bowl and whisk together.
For the Salad
- Combine the spinach, berries and oranges in a large bowl.
- Drizzle desired amount of dressing over the salad, toss everything together in a bowl, top with almonds and serve immediately.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.