Shredded brussels sprouts salad with orange poppy seed dressing is one of my favorite salad recipes. The dressing is drool worthy. The crispy, crunchy chickpeas are just the little salty bite you crave in a salad, and the manchego cheese…it is THE BEST!
I rarely post salad recipes because they just do not do as well as chicken recipes, ground beef recipes or allll the dessert recipes like our famous moist chocolate cake. Which I get, I mean who wants to Google salad recipes when you could be looking at Huli Huli Chicken. However, the truth is that we are really big salad eaters. Especially me.
I already posted my favorite salad recipe, but this shredded brussels sprouts salad is a very close second. So close that it is probably just tied for first place. Don’t make me choose! I love them both!
Salad Insecurities Condition
Do you have Salad Insecurities? I know, it’s not a real thing so don’t google it, but I used to have it and still have to fight the urge to feel it’s pressure again.
Salad is a love mine. I mean, I absolutely LOVE it. I love the different combinations a restaurant can come up with, I LOVE the variety, textures and flavors all piled into one bowl. And I HATE the eye rolling I get for ordering it.
There you are, all tucked into the table at your favorite lunch spot and when the gaggle of girlfriends hear you order a chopped salad the eye balls start rolling. Which ps is one of the most obnoxious things about mothering a teen so I’m already on high alert.
You guys, ordering a salad doesn’t mean you’re afraid to order food, some of us actually do love a big ol’ salad piled with so many ingredients and that delicious dressing!!
Which is why I also love to make a killer salad at home and this salad recipe is definitely at the top of my list!
What Ingredients Do I Need for Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad?
This salad has the perfect blend of sweet and salty, chewy and crunchy, light and fresh, and everything in between. Here is what you will need:
- Shredded Brussels and Kale Bag Salad Mix
- Chick Peas
- Olive Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Apple Butter
- Stone Ground Mustard
- Dark Brown Sugar
- Orange Juice
- Orange Zest
- Poppy Seed Dressing
The measurements for each are listed in the recipe card that you can find at the end of the post. You can print or save the whole recipe there.
How to Make Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
There’s not a whole lot to do with a salad, right? Just toss everything together! The dressing takes a little more work, so here are the instructions:
For the Salad
- Toss all ingredients together.
For the Dressing
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until tender. Reduce heat if needed so they don’t burn.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the skillet except the poppy seed dressing.
- Whisk everything together and simmer until it thickens.
- Let it cool for a few minutes and then whisk in the poppy seed dressing.
- Once it has cooled completely, add it to the salad and toss to coat.
How to Shred Brussels Sprouts
If you can’t find pre-shredded brussels sprouts, you can definitely make you’re own. The best way to shred them is in a food processor. Toss a few handfuls in there and pulse until they are shredded. You can also use a mandolin or slice them by hand with a good knife. Be sure to remove the stem end first.
Are Chickpeas the Same As Garbanzo Beans?
Garbanzo is a type of chick pea, and they are high in protein.
What are Shallots?
Shallots are in the same family as onions, but they don’t have the bite that you get with a white or yellow onion. Shallots have a sweet and mild flavor with a hint of garlic.
What to Eat with Brussels Sprouts Salad?
I love to eat this salad as the main dish for dinner, but I know some folks out there refuse to accept that a salad can be the main dish. Haha! You could add some grilled chicken to it, or just serve it alongside another protein as a side dish. Here are a few ideas:
Main dish or side dish, this salad will have everyone talking! The leftovers make a delicious lunch too!
Can Salad Recipes Be Made Ahead of Time?
This salad can be made ahead of time if you keep all the ingredients separate. Then just toss everything together right before serving.
The dressing can be made up to a week ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
How Long Does Brussels Sprouts Salad Last?
The salad doesn’t last for too long because of all the ingredients you add. The greens get wilty and the pepitas and chickpeas start to get soggy, especially if the dressing has been added to the whole salad. It is great the next day, but I wouldn’t go too much past that.
If you want it to last a little longer, store it before adding the dressing and save the pepitas and chickpeas to add right before serving.
Give me all the salad recipes! I love them and my family loves them too. Shredded brussels sprouts, kale and spinach combine to make a delicious base to all the yummies you add to this salad – roasted chickpeas, oranges, blueberries, pepitas, manchego cheese, and craisins. The homemade dressing is creamy, tangy and pretty much the best thing of all time!
More Fabulous Salad Recipes:
- Spinach Berry Salad
- Roasted Butternut Squash Kale Salad
- Smoked Chicken Kale Salad
- Teriyaki Chicken Salad
- Flank Steak Summer Salad
- The BEST Mango Chicken Salad
- Sweet Pork Salad with Mango Dressing
- Chicken Salad with Cilantro Vinaigrette
- Chicken Taco Salad
- All our SALAD RECIPES!
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with Orange Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1/2 Bag Salad mix shredded brussels and kale
- 1/2 Bag Spinach chopped
- 1 Cup Chick Peas salted, roasted (it's a bag of crunchy chickpeas I buy at Costco or the grocery store)
- 1 1/2 Oranges Chopped (zest one first for dressing)
- 1 Cup Blueberries
- 2/3 Cup Craisins
- 1/3 Cup Pepitas or sliced almonds would work
- 1 1/2 Cups Manchego Cheese shredded (or whatever you like)
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Shallot sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Stone Ground Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar dark
- 1/2 Orange juiced
- 1 Orange zested
- 1 Dash Salt
- 1/2 Cup Poppy Seed Dressing
For The Salad
- Toss all ingredients together.
For The Dressing
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and cook the shallots until tender, turning to medium low as needed so they don't burn.
- Add all other ingredients except poppy seed dressing.
- Whisk and simmer until thickened. Set aside to cool a bit then whisk in the poppy seed or shake it all together in a jar.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.