Sloppy joes – that classic comfort food with a Mexican twist! These taco sloppy joes are like eating your favorite taco with all the toppings you love but in sandwich form!
We are no strangers to sloppy joes here at Oh Sweet Basil! We love them! Our best sloppy joe recipe is one of our most popular posts! And of course we have sloppy joe sliders, instant pot sloppy joes and a sloppy joe casserole! Let’s not forget our healthier sloppy joe recipe and one of my all time favorites, the philly cheesesteak sloppy joe! My mouth is watering!
What Ingredients Do You Need for Taco Sloppy Joes?
Very few ingredients are needed to make this quick and easy dinner recipe! You’ll just need some good ground beef and a few things to make the sloppy joe meat mixture, and then you can go as crazy or as simple as you want with the toppings. Here is your ingredients list:
- Ground Beef: we prefer 85/15 beef for maximum flavor
- Onion: just a yellow onion works great
- Taco Seasoning: you can use store bought seasoning or make your own
- Diced Green Chiles: I usually go with mild to keep it kid friendly.
- Worcestershire: deepens flavor and adds richness
- Tomato Sauce: there’s gotta be some sort of tomato component to make it a sloppy joe – use any brand you prefer
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes: adds so much flavor and the tiniest bit of heat
- Cheddar Cheese: I love the flavor of classic cheddar on a taco, but feel free to use any type of cheese you want.
- Toppings: cilantro, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, sour cream, avocado, salsa, olive, sliced jalapenos, etc.
- Buns: any type of bun works great for these – Brioche, onion, sesame seed, plain, etc.
The full recipe with all the measurements and complete instructions can be found at the end of the post in the recipe card.
Variations and Substitutes
- Protein: use any type of ground meat you like, lighten it up with some lean ground turkey or chicken
- Cheese: spice things up with some pepper jack or monterrey jack or colby jack would also be good substitutes
- Spicy: use canned diced jalapenos instead of green chiles, or add some red pepper flakes or cayenne to the ground beef
- Additions: add some grilled corn to the meat mixture or some black beans
- Texture: be a real rebel and add some Fritos on our sloppy joe! I love the texture it adds!
What is a Sloppy Joe?
A sloppy joe is a type of sandwich that is made with ground beef or pork and onions with the addition of tomato sauce or ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and other simple seasonings like salt and pepper. They are served on a hamburger bun. This is a United States original dish.
Can Taco Sloppy Joes Be Made in the Instant Pot?
Yes, this recipe works great in the instant pot, but I’ll be honest, it doesn’t save you a ton of time. But if you are all about the one pot Instant Pot prep, set your IP to saute and add the meat and onions. Once the meat is browned, drain any excess grease and add the rest of the ingredients. Put the lid on and seal the valve. Cook on high pressure for 5-8 minutes with a 10 minute natural release. Open the lid and sprinkle half of the cheese on the top and put the lid back on. Wait for a few minutes and then stir the melted cheese into the meat mixture. Load up your hamburger buns with the sloppy joe mixture and then top with whatever toppings you want. Enjoy!
What to Eat with Taco Sloppy Joes
When we make sides for this dish, we treat it just like we are having regular tacos. Here are some of our usuals:
Can Sloppy Joes Be Made Ahead of Time?
Sloppy joes are a great make ahead meal. I actually kind of like them better after they sit for a little while. Make the meat mixture ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to eat it, just reheat it on the stove and prep all your toppings.
Storing, Reheating and Freezing Sloppy Joes
I live for leftovers at lunch and these sloppy joes make great leftovers! Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will keep for up to 4 days.
Taco sloppy joes are easy to reheat. If you’re warming up just one serving, go with the microwave. If you’re warming up a lot, throw it in a sauce pan and warm it up on the stove top over medium heat until it is warmed through.
The sloppy joes meat mixture freezes very well. Let it cool completely and then put it in an airtight freezer-safe container. It will keep for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to serve it, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight and the reheat it following the instructions above.
Taco sloppy joes are a mashup of two of our favorite family dinner recipes! It’s the comfort of a classic sloppy joe but with all the flavors of a taco. They are kid friendly and a total crowd pleaser making a great weeknight meal or a delicious main dish for a party!
More Easy Ground Beef Recipes:
- Cheesy Ground Beef and Rice Casserole
- Ground Beef Enchilada Chili
- Taco Pinwheels
- Instant Pot Chili
- Taco Soup
- Sloppy Joes
- Shepherd’s Pie
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Taco Sloppy Joes
- 1 lb Ground Beef 85/15
- 1/4 Cup Onion
- 1/4 Cup Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 Can Diced Green Chiles
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire
- 1 1/4 Cups Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes drained, (you can use the whole can if desired)
- 1 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese divided, some for garnish
- 4 Buns
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Lettuce
- Green Onions optional
- Avocado or Guacamole optional
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the ground beef and brown until a deep brown crust appears before breaking the beef apart.
- Turn off the heat, add in the 1/2 cup of cheese. Stir into the meat mixture until it melts.
- Put a scoop of the meat mixture on the bottom half of a bun and then top with all your desired toppings. Then put the top bun on and enjoy!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.