Key Lime Bars
I never have been into lemon bars. I like them, but they aren’t anything amazing to me. Lime is much more up my alley. Awhile back I decided to play around with the idea of a lime bar. I loooove a yummy graham cracker crust and I love crumbles on top of things so I decided to give it a whirl. Hubby thought there was too much crumble on top, but like I said, I love it! The graham bottom and crumble were all buttery and delicious while the filling is creamy and has that lime zip to it. A for sure must before the summer weather is gone forever!
Also, if you happen to have a favorite lemon bar do share because I would love to find a yummy version!
What Is the Difference Between Key Lime and Regular Lime?
Key limes are smaller than the standard Persian limes and have thin, leathery skin.
Key limes are tart, sharp and incredibly sour, even more so than other limes.
Can You Use Regular Limes Instead of Key Limes?
If you cannot find Key limes, you can substitute regular limes in recipes.
Or, you can substitute a combination of regular fresh lime juice and fresh lemon juice in equal proportions.
What Can You Substitute For Sweetened Condensed Milk?
You can substitute 1 can (14 oz) of sweetened condensed milk with ½ cup of evaporated milk plus 1 cup of sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of melted butter.
Key Lime Bars
Our new book is now available!
This unique cookbook guides the way through every step, including meal lists and easy-to-follow recipes, and features dollops of heartwarming family stories.
Key Lime Crumble Bars
- 1 Can Milk Sweetened Condensed
- 1/2 Cup Lime Juice Fresh
- Zest of 1 lime
- 18 Graham Crackers crushed fine
- 1/8 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Butter melted
To Make the Filling
- Combine sweetened condensed milk, lime juice and zest(leave out the zest if you want a milder lime taste)
- To Make The Bars
- Heat oven to 375.
- Combine flour, sugars, graham crumbs, salt and baking powder.
- Stir in the melted butter.
- Press half into an 8x8 or 9x9" greased baking dish.
- Pour milk mixture on top and sprinkle remaining crumbs on the filling.
- Bake 25 min or until the top begins to turn golden.