Everyone loves Zupas and on a whim one evening I decided to make a Zupas Copycat Tomato Basil Orzo Soup and the results were fantastic! This Lemon Orzo is super delicious also!
Many years ago my girlfriend treated me to lunch, or was it dinner, anyway it was a meal at Zupas, a local restaurant that serves soups, salads and sandwiches. We absolutely love their nuts about berries salad and usually get that but on this occasion she told me I just had to get the Tomato Basil Orzo soup and that I would never eat another tomato soup that’s as good as this one.
What is Orzo?
Orzo, also risoni, is a form of short-cut pasta, shaped like a large grain of rice.
Orzo can be served alone; as a soup accompaniment; as part of a salad, pilaf, or giouvetsi; or baked in a casserole.
She was right. The addition of orzo is awesome and totally makes the meal.
Technically it’s healthier too.
Why? There’s pasta in it! Why would that be healthier?
Well because you aren’t making a big, fat, gooey grilled cheese to dunk in it so “technically” it’s healthier. See how my eating choices always become a win?
We were later informed that you should mix the tomato and cauliflower soup
The tomato soup is really easy to make, especially if you have a Blendtec to puree it all, and should you not have good, fresh tomatoes just use canned and remember it will be good, just not phenomenal. (That’s for my mom. Apparently Dad has started using that word a lot and we are all secretly giggling about it.) This soup freezes well too so just let it cool and either use a food saver or ziplocs to store it.
Can Tomato Soup be Frozen?
If you are making the soup specifically for freezing, leave out the cream or milk completely.
You can still freeze leftover tomato soup with cream, using the same methods, but it will require careful reheating to avoid curdling.
At the very end, right as you’re serving up bowls of it, spoon in a little of the orzo and top with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese. So. So. So. Good.
Ok, and go ahead and dunk a little crusty bread action in there too. I can’t resist.
Is Tomato Soup Good for a Cold?
Tomato Soup is Chock-full of vitamin C, tomato soup is also a winter warmer-upper.
You can whip up a delicious dairy-free recipe to keep your mucus factor down.
Zupas Copycat Tomato Basil Orzo Soup
- 8-10 tomatoes, chopped in quarters
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 Cup Tomato Sauce
- 1 Cup Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped 1 Tablespoon Butter 2/3 Cup Orzo Pasta 2 Tablespoons Fresh Parmesan Cheese
- Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet that has been lightly drizzled with olive oil. drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil and toss to coat.
- sprinkle evenly with kosher salt and black pepper.
- roast at 425 for 20-40 minutes or until shriveled and soft.
- remove from the oven.
- let cool for a few minutes and then place the tomatoes and any accumulated juices from the pan into a blender (we use blendtec) and puree until you have 2 1/2 cups. if you come up short just add tomato sauce or too much just don't use it all.
- drizzle about 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large sauce pot.
- heat over medium high heat until shimmering.
- add the garlic, turn down to medium and stir frequently.
- allow to cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- add the tomato puree, juice, broth, tomato sauce brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- stir and then allow to come to a boil.
- boil for 10 minutes and turn down to a simmer.
- add the milk and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the butter and basil.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta per package instructions.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, add a little pasta and parmesan and serve immediately.
- Allow soup to cool and store in tupperware up to 4 days or in sealed storage bags in the freezer up to 2 months.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 150 Saturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 5.3mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 24.4g Fiber: 3.5g Sugar: 11.5g Protein: 6.2g