Caprese orzo pasta is loaded with juicy tomatoes, creamy mozzarella and chopped fresh basil. It is light, fresh and perfect for spring!
Adding orzo pasta to the classic caprese ingredients makes this a great side dish or a delectable light lunch. I’m always looking to liven things up when it comes to lunch time! Plus, we are all about caprese flavors — see our caprese sandwich or our balsamic caprese chicken.
Our kids love helping us in the kitchen and this is a great recipe to get the whole family involved. Even our 5-year-old can cook up a batch of orzo. We put our oldest on the basil and our second on the tomatoes and mozzarella and this caprese salad is done in no time! It is simple, healthy and the flavors are flawless!
What Ingredients Go in Caprese Orzo Pasta?
When you hear caprese, you know your usual suspects, but there are couple of other ingredients that go into this pasta dish. Here is your shopping list:
- Olive Oil
- Chicken Broth
- Thyme (fresh)
- Basil (fresh)
- Mozzarella (buffalo or pearls)
How to Make Caprese Orzo Pasta
We have gone through the basic steps, but here is the whole process in a little more detail. For the complete recipe, see the recipe card below.
- Orzo – This recipe starts by toasting the dry orzo. We’ve found this really takes the flavor over the top. Then add the garlic and thyme. The orzo is cooked in chicken broth for even more flavor.
- PRO TIP: Thyme isn’t a typical caprese flavor, but it adds a flavor that we love in this pasta salad!
- Caprese – Once the orzo has absorbed most of the water and it is tender, its time to add all the caprese stars – cheese, tomatoes and basil. Then salt and pepper to taste and dig in!
What is Caprese?
Caprese is an Italian dish made from fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and sweet basil, seasoned with salt and olive oil, occasionally paired with arugula. It can be eaten as a salad or on a sandwich.
Is Orzo Pasta Or Rice?
I feel like orzo isn’t as well know as it should be. Orzo is a rice-shaped pasta. So it is a pasta that eats like rice but takes substantially less time to cook. It’s a winner that should be used more in my humble opinion!
How to Cook Orzo Pasta?
How Do You Know When Orzo Is Done?
Orzo takes about 10 minutes to cook.
It is done when it has a firm, chewy texture.
How Long Will Orzo Keep?
Cooked orzo will keep for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Are Tomatoes Good For You?
I am obsessed with tomatoes, especially tomatoes fresh from the garden. We don’t have a spot in our backyard for a garden which makes me the saddest, but my parents have a huge garden. When we go to visit in the summer, we always return with tons of fresh produce including all kinds of tomatoes.
Tomatoes are a great source of vitamin C, potassium, folate, and vitamin K. They are also high in antioxidants.
Caprese orzo pasta is going to be your new favorite dish this spring! I’m having it for lunch this week. My kids are whipping it up. We will have it for dinner, and then I’ll be eating the leftovers for lunch. It keeps great in the refrigerator too, so I can eat it several days in a row! Three cheers for CAPRESE!
Looking for more delicious ORZO RECIPES?
- Creamy Garlic Parmesan Orzo
- Ham Lemon Orzo with Parmesan and Peas
- Lemon Orzo with Parmesan and Peas
- Zupas Copycat Tomato Basil Orzo Soup
- Lemon Orzo Pasta Salad
- Cuban Pasta Salad
- Teriyaki Chicken Pasta Salad
- Bacon Chicken Ranch Pasta Salad
- 10 Minute Ranch Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Spring Ham and Asparagus Lemon Cream Pasta
- Turkey Tetrazzini with Crunchy Honey Dijon Topping
- 15 Minute Pesto Pasta
- All our Pasta Recipes here!
Caprese Orzo Pasta
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 1/2 Cups Orzo Pasta
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Thyme leaves, fresh
- 3 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Mozzarella, buffalo, or mozzarella pearls
- 2/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated, plus more for garnish
- 1 Cup Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Basil, Fresh, chopped
- Cracked Pepper, fresh, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and pasta.1 1/2 Cups Orzo Pasta, 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- Cook, stirring occasionally until toasted, about 30-60 seconds.
- Add garlic and stir it in followed by thyme.2 Cloves Garlic, 1 teaspoon Thyme leaves
- Add the broth, a small amount at a time.3 Cups Chicken Broth
- Bring to a boil, cover the skillet with a lid and turn down to a simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the pasta has absorbed most of the water and is tender.
- Add the cheeses, tomatoes, basil and salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.1 Cup Mozzarella, 2/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese, 1/4 Cup Basil, 1 Cup Tomatoes, Cracked Pepper, Salt
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!
When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.